Answered Foot Propagating Scale morphs?

urukyay

Featured Contributor
Reactions
There's several Genesis 2 morphs that I'd like to use, namely "Foot propagating scale" and "Hand Propagating Scale". They control 2 other morphs respectively, for left and right limbs, named the same. The filenames are SCLPropagatingFoot.dsf , SCLPropagatingFootL.dsf , SCLPropagatingFootR.dsf , SCLPropagatingHand.dsf , SCLPropagatingHandL.dsf and SCLPropagatingHandR.dsf . I don't think I should share the files themselves.

I've put them in the Custom/Atom/Person/Morphs/male folder, and VaM recognizes them and shows them, but they don't do anything :( Is there something I should do? Or maybe morphs like that aren't supported at all? I think they just scale bones and don't modify any geometry.

Alternatively, Is there any foot scale male morphs I could use? I tried using the female "petite" foot morph (from import-reloaded) on a male, and turning the slider negative, but the foot scales weirdly as if from an incorrect origin point, and the result isn't the best.

Hi, there are much less morphs and stuff for males, and you surely know the reason why. As you already have tried, you can copy female morphs to the male folder, but those female morphs are most of the time changing the male geometry in a undesirable way, because they are made for the female geometry. There is not much you can do about this, other than searching for Genesis 2 DAZ3D male morphs (there are not that many) or creating your own morphs.... BUT there is the (somewhat new) option to use female morphs on male figures by selecting the "use female morphs on male" checkbox on top of the morphs tab. This will make all of the female morphs available and much more usable than the old "copy to male folder" method. As you already have the "Reloaded" morph package, you will find quite a few more foot morphs there.

Upvote 0
That's what I tried already. I didn't copy the female morphs to male, but used the checkbox. It does have the obvious problem that it deforms the geometry in a way that doesn't quite fit.

- Btw, to clarify, I want to scale the feet up. -

The morphs in question, foot propagating scale, appear to be "bone morphs", and there are other builtin morphs like that in VaM that do work, I can't figure out why. Those, like "head size", show a red gear and indicate that it's probably not a good idea to animate them, which is fine. The propagating scale morphs however do not show the red gear, as I thought they would.
In the generated .vmi files, the morphs use "ScaleX" (and Y and Z) formulas for bones :

Code:
{
   "id" : "SCLPropagatingHandL",
   "displayName" : "Hand Propagating Scale Left",
   "group" : "Real World",
   "region" : "Hands",
   "min" : "-1",
   "max" : "1",
   "numDeltas" : "0",
   "isPoseControl" : "false",
   "formulas" : [
      {
         "targetType" : "ScaleX",
         "target" : "lHand",
         "multiplier" : "0.5"
      },
      {
         "targetType" : "ScaleY",
      },
      {
         "targetType" : "ScaleZ",
      },
      {
         "targetType" : "ScaleX",
         "target" : "lThumb1",
      },

[...]

etc, for all the bones of the left hand

I assume the vmb file contains vertex offsets, if any, and in this case I think there aren't any? Is this something that isn't supported maybe?

Upvote 0
To whom it may concern,

The solution is this :

Follow the guide here : https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/how-to-use-blender-to-sculpt.2302/

but instead of exporting the base figure as an obj to blender and modifying it, you export the _morphed_ figure and load that obj into morphloader in daz, skipping the blender part entirely, and continuing to do the rigging adjust step etc. Much simpler than I thought it'd be, and the rigging fix seems ok! :O

I suppose it converts it from bone scaling to proper vertex morph with boneorigin offsets, like most if not all of the rest (I guess??). It works, and now I have buff male figures with regular sized looking feet :D

Anyway here are the foot scale morphs, if anyone wants. There shouldn't be any copyright issues, since it's just scaling all the bones of the feet the same amount. I dunno how to package them properly yet, they go in Custom/Atom/Person/Morphs/male

For the hands there's already other scale morphs, but just to be complete.

Attachments

• g2feet.zip
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
  • g2hands.zip
    275.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Sorry, that I haven't understand clearly what you was asking for. Though, I am glad you have figured it out. I think it is fun to create morphs with DAZ and I want to encourage everybody who is interested to try it out.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom