Fixed (FIXED in 1.21.2.0) Animation patterns not working correctly after scene load

WeebUVR

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Things that are controlled by animation patterns which are not set to autoplay will not follow animations as they should after scene load.
it will only start behaving as it should after the animation is played or moved at least once.
this is causing a lot of issues in scenes with multiple connected animations.

Video example: https://mega.nz/file/u2BARRAZ#2AxrMXgQNC5wf8J6uvrv2luUiuwC4x8fiw9S8hns5NE

Can you send me the scene file from the video?

I think the problem is you have multiple AnimationPattern atoms controlling the same receiver and you have all of them set to "On And Controlling Receiver". This means you are getting patterns that are fighting each other for control of the same object. Even if the animation pattern is not playing and "On And Controlling Receiver" is set, the pattern is going to still try to move the receiver to the position/rotation depending on the Control Option setting. You are going to get non-deterministic behavior depending on which AnimationPattern updates last. If that is the case, this is not really a bug. You should be setting "On And Controlling Receiver" to off if you don't want the pattern to try to control the object, even when stopped.

Edit: after watching the video again, this is exactly what is happening. When you do manual seeks you can disrupt the auto-update order and get priority movement of the pattern you are adjusting. You can clearly see this conflict in control right at the beginning of the video.

As such, I don't think this is a bug. You must turn On And Controlling Receiver to false to prevent conflicts.

" I think the problem is you have multiple AnimationPattern atoms controlling the same receiver and you have all of them set to "On And Controlling Receiver""
That is not what is happening here.

In this example there are 3 animation patterns all with 2 steps.
AnimP 1 controlls the sphere.
Step 1 of AnimP 1 is controlled by AnimP 2 and step 2 of AnimP1 is controlled by AnimP 3...

Is a simple way to have object transition between 2 or more animation patterns without having to switch the receiver. simply move the object to the appropriate step which is further animated by different animation pattern.

just an example of a function where this is causing trouble.

problem is still that objects wont follow animation patterns which have not been played or other wise moved at least once after scene load.

I have added another video example + the scene file: https://mega.nz/folder/OqIDRaQL#1PJ8GMEAVhqRtB5Qwnht7Q

Last edited:
Thank you for the example. This help me find and fix the bug. It was a case of not setting the current step and next step variables on restore properly if the time was also set to 0 in the saved pattern. The current step and next step are what are used to figure out how the moved object should be placed.

This fix will be in upcoming 1.21.2.0 release.

Back
Top Bottom