Farger's FBX Guide

Guides Farger's FBX Guide

Farger

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Farger submitted a new resource:

Farger's FBX Guide - A guide for creating/editing materials for 3D fbx models in Unity

This guide walks through an example of obtaining a 3D model of a spaceship, creating and editing the materials in Unity, and preparing the model for exporting to VAM. There are a number of good guides on the Hub that discuss the process of preparing your Unity project, as well as creating prefabs and assetbundles so that the 3D assets can be imported into VAM. This guide focuses more on the process of obtaining 3D mesh objects and goes through more detail into the basic steps of creating...

Read more about this resource...

First I wanted to thank you @Farger for this very detailed and well thought out tutorial. I am not leaving a review at this time because of the last few lines of your tutorial where you don't complete the final steps of prepping the file for VaM and instead tell us guides for doing this are "already available" but do not go further. It's actually surprising that you would write such a detailed tutorial and then not provide a direct link to where we can get another tutorial for finishing the process. Or better yet, just include the complete process in your tutorial.

I also wish you did this tutorial with a much simpler object than a starship. I think a chair, table, bed or some other FBX item that we would more likely want to import into VaM would have been a better way to get newbies into trying this process.

But again, I do appreciate your taking the time to make this document, although I'd rather not leave a rating at this time because it might not be very high due to my above comments.

First I wanted to thank you @Farger for this very detailed and well thought out tutorial. I am not leaving a review at this time because of the last few lines of your tutorial where you don't complete the final steps of prepping the file for VaM and instead tell us guides for doing this are "already available" but do not go further. It's actually surprising that you would write such a detailed tutorial and then not provide a direct link to where we can get another tutorial for finishing the process. Or better yet, just include the complete process in your tutorial.

I also wish you did this tutorial with a much simpler object than a starship. I think a chair, table, bed or some other FBX item that we would more likely want to import into VaM would have been a better way to get newbies into trying this process.

But again, I do appreciate your taking the time to make this document, although I'd rather not leave a rating at this time because it might not be very high due to my above comments.
The tutorial is about fbx and texture asignment, not unity itself.
MacGruber has done an indepth tutorial on unity . https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/unity-assetbundles-for-vam-1-xx.167/
not much point in farger doing what has already been done .
the spaceship is of low poly , the user can use any Fbx object they chose ,the results will be still the same.
the only aspect is not all sketchfab files are the same as the source folder can have a zip
that contains the fbx with the textures.

Farger updated Farger's FBX Guide with a new update entry:

Added clarification concerning complementary guides and the creation of assetbundles

This updated version includes changes in the beginning page and the addition of six pages at the end of the guide.

The updated title page better explains the relationship of this guide with other guides and tips by MacGruber and Vamtastic. Links to other guides and instructions are included on the title page. The update recommends the use of MacGruber's guide and project tools as a starting point. It also discussed the issue of versioning with Unity.

The last six pages provide fidelity...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Back
Top Bottom