Question Editing scenes within a scene

DistantSun

Reactions
Hi everyone. I need help understanding how VAR handles and saves scenes that contain multiple scenes. Imagine I have a scene where an UI button loads the next scene and where the only thing that changes is the location and poses of the people. If I go to load scene I can see all the different "scenes within the scene" which I assume are packed inside the VAR, that's great.

Now my question is, how can I edit those scenes to make some changes and replace the original ones ? If I try to save any of them I can only save them in my own save folder and since I want everything to stay connected by the triggers that's not going to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

As a scene is a JSON file what you may be seeing is a several scenes (JSONs) and some are marked as hidden. Or you may be refering to subscenes as scenes, or something else, but I suspect it's the first.
The first - hidden scenes - just set them as not hidden. If you mean something else within a single scene, then you need to explain better what that is you consider a scene within a scene.

Upvote 0
As a scene is a JSON file what you may be seeing is a several scenes (JSONs) and some are marked as hidden. Or you may be refering to subscenes as scenes, or something else, but I suspect it's the first.
The first - hidden scenes - just set them as not hidden. If you mean something else within a single scene, then you need to explain better what that is you consider a scene within a scene.

Yep, they were just marked as hidden and I can open them. The problem is that when I try to save them I can't find the originals to replace them. Am I supposed to just make a new save for every single scene in my own save folder ? Will the triggers still load my own saves instead of the original JSONs ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course, the originals are in a VAR and you can't write directly to inside a VAR, only locally.
The triggers and other things may work depending on the path they have in the JSON. If they have a path like VAR_name:/whatever then they'll continue to work, but if it's a relative path like SELF:/... then no because the relative path is now different.
If you want you can also overwrite the original scene with your modified one, as if it was like that in the first place. A VAR is just a fancy ZIP file, you can change what's inside.

Upvote 0
Scenes with multiple scenes often have a button to switch from one to the next. Each button trigger loads another scene in the sequence. What you would have to do is edit the scene you want to change and save that locally in your area. You would need to edit all the other scenes that have triggers to make them load your version, then save them locally as well. If you modify only one scene and save that, then click the back button, it will load the original version of the previous scene. Then when you press forward in that original scene, it will load the original version of the scene you modded. That's why you would have to mod them all, or just play with one and ignore the back and forward buttons.

Upvote 0
Scenes with multiple scenes often have a button to switch from one to the next. Each button trigger loads another scene in the sequence. What you would have to do is edit the scene you want to change and save that locally in your area. You would need to edit all the other scenes that have triggers to make them load your version, then save them locally as well. If you modify only one scene and save that, then click the back button, it will load the original version of the previous scene. Then when you press forward in that original scene, it will load the original version of the scene you modded. That's why you would have to mod them all, or just play with one and ignore the back and forward buttons.

Yep I get it now. I didn't realize all the scenes were different JSONs files because they were hidden except the first one. I haven't tried it yet but if I understood it correctly I should be able to change the trigger path to load my own saved scene instead of the original.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom