Question Do i need Steam VR to launch VR directly for quest?

1776DT1

Reactions
do i need steam VR to start the game in VR mode or is there an option within the app that enables native VR after all quest drivers are installed?

did anyone play it in VR before it was published on steam?
how did you do it before steam integration?

This has been WELL covered. No, you don't need SteamVR.
In fact, I think that makes it worse.
Install the Oculus desktop app and it runs through that.

Look into ALVR and Virtual Desktop as possible ways to stream wirelessly as well as "air link" built into the Oculus app.

Upvote 0
All you need is a way to see and use your PC desktop in your Quest, then you just click on the VaM VR exe file to launch it. As mentioned, the Quest desktop app and Oculus link in your headset should do this. I used to be able to use the Virtual Desktop app but that hasn't worked for me lately, it seems to need SteamVR for some reason even though I uninstalled it.

Upvote 0
If you want to run VAM through Virtual Desktop you need to right click the Streamer App while in VR and click launch game. Navigate as was mentioned before to your VAM directory and double click on VAM.exe. Virtual Desktop has been working flawlessly for me.

1672675471942.png

Upvote 0
Thanks Seb, this could be a game changer for me. I switched from Rift (no issues running it from my Desktop) to Pico using VR and my PC crashed 2-3 times with one time even overheating. And I thought that going via SteamVR could cause some issues.

Upvote 0
Thanks Seb, this could be a game changer for me. I switched from Rift (no issues running it from my Desktop) to Pico using VR and my PC crashed 2-3 times with one time even overheating. And I thought that going via SteamVR could cause some issues.

Any update on how this worked for you? I have a reverb g2 but steamvr causes problems quite a bit for me too. I haven't been able to figure out another way around steamvr, but haven't taken the dive to try it on virtual desktop.

Upvote 0
I'm totally fine now. For most of the itme I'm using the VAM desktop mode. And using Virtual Desktop for VR and had no issue anymore since. What also helped me, is to switch off my second screen on the PC and I got an upgrade on my internet connection and router with WiFi 6 now.

Upvote 0
I have a reverb g2 but steamvr causes problems quite a bit for me too. I haven't been able to figure out another way around steamvr, but haven't taken the dive to try it on virtual desktop.

Same question. Recently got the G2 and am wondering if there is a way to play VaM without SteamVR.

Upvote 0
I'm totally fine now. For most of the itme I'm using the VAM desktop mode. And using Virtual Desktop for VR and had no issue anymore since. What also helped me, is to switch off my second screen on the PC and I got an upgrade on my internet connection and router with WiFi 6 now.
Do you even need an internet connection?

I'm getting my quest 2 today. I travel a lot for work so I was just going to buy a wifi router to connect to my laptop and then wirelessly connect the quest 2 to the router.

I would think as long as they were both connected to the router it should work.

Is this not how it works?

Upvote 0
@Dhildozer No you are right. But my router was quite old and seemed to not really handle higher broadband well. The point is, I had my pico 4 connected to my PC via cable and that probably caused the overheat and general problems. So I needed a better router and better WiFI + broadband to connect well wireless.

Upvote 0
I think you can. At least I can via Virtual Desktop thanks to solution by @Seb_3D.

Can you elaborate or point me towards Seb's solution? And I thought Virtual Desktop was only for the Quest 2. You're using it with the Reverb?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom