Answered Differences between LUT and CUA Tonemaps

Voithe

Reactions
Hi guys! Could someone explain to me the difference between these two things?

I see that both of them "changes colors"... but, i can't understand if there is a difference between them.

Thanks in advance! ;)

Practically there's little difference between the two, both are essentially just image filters.

The CUA tonemap is mega old, probably from a time before postmagic was created and is a fixed filter whereas with LUTs theres 1000's of LUTs out there so you have much more flexibility to find the right filter for your scene/shots.

The cua tonemap will also occasionally cause issues with other assets so a LUT is preferable unless you need the exact filter the tonemap provides.

Upvote 0
Practically there's little difference between the two, both are essentially just image filters.

The CUA tonemap is mega old, probably from a time before postmagic was created and is a fixed filter whereas with LUTs theres 1000's of LUTs out there so you have much more flexibility to find the right filter for your scene/shots.

The cua tonemap will also occasionally cause issues with other assets so a LUT is preferable unless you need the exact filter the tonemap provides.

Thaaaaaaanks! ;)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom