Did you consider hosting a Mastodon server?

Acid Bubbles

Invaluable member
Developer
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
github.com
Twitter
acidbubblesanon
Patreon
acidbubbles
I remember what happened a while ago when Tumblr adult content was banned; everyone had to move and lost their followers, and a lot of them eventually joined Twitter. Not sure yet what will happen with Twitter itself in the long run, and because of that fear, Mastodon received a surge of new users.

For those who don't know what it is, it's pretty much a decentralized Twitter, i.e. everyone can host their "own" instance.

It might not be where users are right now, but having a Virt-A-Mate (or Meshed?) instance early could catch and connect with people who are moving away from Twitter before something happens, and if indeed Mastodon gets off (8M users I think right now) you'll have many people like me who'll already have an identity like @acidbubbles@vam.social.

Anyway, because it's a pretty simple setup, and VaM could eventually get hit with (another) Twitter ban, it sounds like a fairly cheap risk mitigation. To be fair, I'm not really using Mastodon myself, though I'll definitely sign up if you do create a server.

cc @meshedvr @VaMDeV @CitizenX

Anyway, because it's a pretty simple setup, and VaM could eventually get hit with (another) Twitter ban, it sounds like a fairly cheap risk mitigation.

I keep thinking this because we're closing in on 10K followers on Twitter, so as that number grows, I think that it would be good to get a Mastodon server going... I was looking into it last week, actually, so I'm glad to hear there's interest. I'll look further into it, thanks Acidbubbles!

Back
Top Bottom