Question Desktop & VR Mode - Height and Horizontal Navigation

Xiaok232020

Reactions
I'm having some trouble navigating in a scene, I'm not able to change the view's height or horizontal, it basically feels like I'm just pivoting from one spot, however, I can zoom or look left and right.

What are the proper controls in desktop mode for me to move and not just pivot?
I believe in VR mode (using it with quest) I might have the same problem.... I'm sure height movement is a problem, haven't really tried too much on VR yet with horizontal.

Please advise, thanks!

You can move around with WASD, +shift to "run", Z and X to go up and down, and you can hit TAB to activate mouselook.
Additionally, you can control what you pivot around when outside mouselook, by pressing F after having something selected in edit mode (also in play mode, but the selection isn't visible). Mouselook and focus (pivot) are also accessible as buttons in the toolbar.

In VR I'm not entirely sure. With oculus controllers, I move around with the thumbsticks, and set initial player height from preferences. No idea how to freely move vertically though. There's also a grab and move mode I think?? You'd have to wait for someone else to answer that specifically though :(

Upvote 0
Possibly you have "Navigate Look Height" enabled, preventing you from going up/down. From the main UI panel click the "Click for more options" button.

In VR you can move up/down with thumbsticks of one of the controllers, while the other controller does left/right/forward/backward. But that only works when both hand controllers are connected (like not sleeping).

Upvote 0
You can move around with WASD, +shift to "run", Z and X to go up and down, and you can hit TAB to activate mouselook.
Additionally, you can control what you pivot around when outside mouselook, by pressing F after having something selected in edit mode (also in play mode, but the selection isn't visible). Mouselook and focus (pivot) are also accessible as buttons in the toolbar.

In VR I'm not entirely sure. With oculus controllers, I move around with the thumbsticks, and set initial player height from preferences. No idea how to freely move vertically though. There's also a grab and move mode I think?? You'd have to wait for someone else to answer that specifically though :(
I'm going to try this out, thanks for all the information!!

Upvote 0
Possibly you have "Navigate Look Height" enabled, preventing you from going up/down. From the main UI panel click the "Click for more options" button.

In VR you can move up/down with thumbsticks of one of the controllers, while the other controller does left/right/forward/backward. But that only works when both hand controllers are connected (like not sleeping).
Actually I have both controllers connected, and using Oculus Link with Oculus 1. I do have lock height disabled. I'm going to give this another try and reply back here, thanks!

Upvote 0

It strange that one of the most important options is hide with some additional buttons instead of being exceptional exposed (and by default off)

Upvote 0
To summarize what I've learned, ASDW for move left, back, right, forward, then X and Z for up and down.

One thing that is still unclear is " you can control what you pivot around when outside mouselook, by pressing F after having something selected." I don't see how to pivot around an object. If I lelect the person atom and then the F key,

Upvote 0
One thing that is still unclear is " you can control what you pivot around when outside mouselook, by pressing F after having something selected." I don't see how to pivot around an object. If I lelect the person atom and then the F key,
Select some atom/control, press F to focus it, then hold your right mouse button and move the mouse to rotate around the focus point (or "pivot"). Mouse wheel zooms on the focus point. WSADXZ move the focus point. Holding mouse wheel and moving the mouse also moves the focus point.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much. I'm so excited to have heard from MacGruber within a few minutes of writing my first post here! I'm a VAM novice but not so new as to be ignorant of your work. Thanks so much for all your contributions to this community. :love:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom