Question Convert specific all-in-one-character-morph's, to only generic VAM morphs?

pinosante

Reactions
Hi people,
I noticed that when I download certain looks, some of them have a morph like "Isabelle" as a slider, and that the slider changes the whole look of the character. So it's either a full Isabelle if you slide it to the right, or a generic character if you turn it off. This makes tweaking the character very difficult.

I was curious: is it possible to de-morph these all-in-one-morphs to the generic VAM morphs? I'd be willing to program something in Python. I just can't figure out what the morph is actually changing. Let's say the all-in-one-morph changes 30 bone settings and weights, I could program something that tries to achieve this same setting with only generic VAM morphs. Let it be clear: I have no clue what the morphs are actually doing. I tried looking at the .vac files but that didn't make me any wiser. Can anyone tell me what the morph is actually changing?

The major upside for me would be this: that way you could convert all looks to generic VAM morphs and make them comparable. My next thing would be to try to create a randomized new character based on the average and standard deviation of your favorite generic VAM morph settings. (And clusters of settings).

TL;DR: is it possible to convert all-in-one-morphs to generic VAM morphs.

No, AFAIK not at the moment.
Sorry for the unsatisfactory answer :(
Maybe I have to point out the pro and cons:

Many creators are using a lot of morphs to create a look. I had already looks with 1500 morphs and more.
Some of those morphs are DAZ copyright protected, some are from other creators and of other unclear origins.
To create a share-able product, and/or to NOT install a large bunch of morphs again and again, many creators are using the MorphMerger tool to create a single new morph.
Some other creators are doing a complete new full body morph by 3d modeling.
Those are the full body morphs you have mentioned.
In all those cases, those all-in-one-morphs are something good and worthwile.
On the contrary, breaking them up in hundreds of separate morphs may lead to other issues.
IMHO it is very comfortable to work with those merged morphs, and edit/combine them, instead of dealing with all the sub-morphs... but I can understand your point ov view.

But back to the question:
I don't think (or better: I hope, for copyright reasons) you can't simply break down MorphMerger morphs back in the original morphs. For doing this, you would need all the original morph informations (like names, numbers, headers, aso), which are AFAIK lost in the merging process.

BUT a tool could analyze the shape or informations and compare them with a fixed list of generic VaM morphs. If there are similarities, the tool could then break down the all-in-one morphs into generic morphs.
This is something that is somehow already in use:
If you use the FaceGen exporter, for instance, a tool breaks down the FaceGen shape to DAZ morphs...
and there are other examples, like the old Face2Vam tool.
Unfortunately, this is IMHO ecactly the reason, why the great FaceGen generated faces looks so bad in VaM: The FG to DAZ/VaM converting process seems to be not very exact.

Maybe in the case of the all-in-one morphs this would be much better, because you allready have morph data available, but eighter you would have bad to mediocre results, or you would need VERY much morphs to get a better approximation. For instance: If the tool doesn't find an exact morph for that special eyebrow shape or nose, it would skip the infos, or take something maybe similar.
Nevertheless it is theoretically possible, that a plugin like this may exist somewhere (never say never). But if it may exists, it is obviously not very popular by now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom