Answered Changing Scene Custom Scene

Bubb

Reactions
Hey, I'm very new here. I've downloaded some free scenes from the hub with animations etc. I was just wondering if you can change the scene to a blank scene for example, without breaking all the animation in the downloaded scene?
Usually when i try and change the scene, it breaks everything

Thank you in advance x

It depends on how the scene is made. The most important part is to keep the necessary collisions so that the persons don't move too much.
When you turn off, say a bed, the collision surface is no more and if persons need it this may bring problems in poses and movement. As passthrough is becoming a more popular use, you may expect scene makers to change collision requirements to invisible shapes and rely less on the furniture of the environment. This is likely going to be a small fraction of scenes always but I think it will grow over time.

If you want to have a go and make some changes in scenes, pick one that looks simple in terms of needed collision surfaces, for example with a bed, go to the bed options > Material > Render > Hide material. Try removing or hiding the remaining environment until you only see the people. If the environment is a CUA and can't be hidden or removed, then use a Cube atom to make the necessary collision the persons need, then in the cube options > Material > Alpha adjust to -1.

Upvote 0
It depends on how the scene is made. The most important part is to keep the necessary collisions so that the persons don't move too much.
When you turn off, say a bed, the collision surface is no more and if persons need it this may bring problems in poses and movement. As passthrough is becoming a more popular use, you may expect scene makers to change collision requirements to invisible shapes and rely less on the furniture of the environment. This is likely going to be a small fraction of scenes always but I think it will grow over time.

If you want to have a go and make some changes in scenes, pick one that looks simple in terms of needed collision surfaces, for example with a bed, go to the bed options > Material > Render > Hide material. Try removing or hiding the remaining environment until you only see the people. If the environment is a CUA and can't be hidden or removed, then use a Cube atom to make the necessary collision the persons need, then in the cube options > Material > Alpha adjust to -1.
Hey thanks for the reply, I have slowly tried to remove everything from a custom scene like lighting and assets, usually seems to still work, someone did mention something about freezing animation and physics then changing but i have not looked into it yet. My only goal is to increase vr fps as much as possible, as custom scenes have so much stuff in them causing slow down

Upvote 0
I see.
If you're looking to improve FPS the environment is not going to have much impact. What you need to see is:
  • person related things like soft-body physics, hair, clothing
  • lights
Try the plugin GiveMeFPS and see how the options affect the FPS you get and learn how much something makes a difference.

Upvote 0
I see.
If you're looking to improve FPS the environment is not going to have much impact. What you need to see is:
  • person related things like soft-body physics, hair, clothing
  • lights
Try the plugin GiveMeFPS and see how the options affect the FPS you get and learn how much something makes a difference.
Thanks, yeah i've tried all the usual suspects , givemefps, lower hair density & multiplier and lowering overall quality in settings etc, I have not tried turning off asw yet as some have suggested this works too. Ill just have to try and fiddle some more. Do you know if adding more stuff to an atom has a large effect? e.g Skin shine, clothes, tattoos etc? Someone also suggested not running through steam vr, does anyone know if this helps?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a huge list of factors and impact variations, and you need to see if your bottleneck ison the CPU and/or the GPU. Generally physics stuff is on the CPU and hair/clothing on the GPU, but this becomes complicated because everything is usually mixed and moving around.
What's your hardware like?

Upvote 0
There's a huge list of factors and impact variations, and you need to see if your bottleneck ison the CPU and/or the GPU. Generally physics stuff is on the CPU and hair/clothing on the GPU, but this becomes complicated because everything is usually mixed and moving around.
What's your hardware like?
I7-12700k
32gb ram
RTX 3070

Upvote 0
Ok, not a potato then.
Yeah, play around and see how much things are affected, the points I mentioned earlier are the main ones.

Upvote 0
Ok, not a potato then.
Yeah, play around and see how much things are affected, the points I mentioned earlier are the main ones.
Certainly not a potato :)

Thank you very much for your help and assistance, I might post my own guide once I have vam figured out!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom