Can I use a CC BY Scene to develop new scene and sell it as PC content?

Reactions
Website
patreon.com
Hi everyones.
As I wrote in the title I'm guessing if there is any problem to do someting something like that.
I know the CC BY license can permit everything just crediting the original creator, but if I resell the same scene changing just the looks inside is it permitted?

Other case similar but different.
I buy a scene frome a creator CC BY license, and from this scene I get the inspiration to expand the scene changing looks, creating a lot of animation and using the same Asset CC BY scenario.

Thanks

Hi everyones.
As I wrote in the title I'm guessing if there is any problem to do someting something like that.
I know the CC BY license can permit everything just crediting the original creator, but if I resell the same scene changing just the looks inside is it permitted?

Other case similar but different.
I buy a scene frome a creator CC BY license, and from this scene I get the inspiration to expand the scene changing looks, creating a lot of animation and using the same Asset CC BY scenario.

Thanks

Generally, yes!

It is unusual that you have to "buy" a CC-BY Scene though. To avoid potential license mistakes/misunderstandings and/or unnecessary conflicts, id suggest that you reach out to the creator nicely and ask before you go ahead.

Sure, you can take something CC BY and sell it. But you have to credit the original author, mention the license...which means your customers can easily find the original scene. So, nobody will buy, it if you don't add any meaningful value.

Another note, if a scene is CC-BY, it could still depend on other VAR package that aren't.

You are free to do that except with ND, NC. PC
Also except SA, which forces you to keep the original license.

And yes, as EasyVaM said, talking to people and asking permission is always the best approach. Even if you technically don't need permission.

Back
Top Bottom