Benchmark

MacGruber

Invaluable member
Developer
Featured Contributor
Reactions
MacGruber submitted a new resource:

Benchmark - Measure VaM performance of your PC. Compare with others to make hardware upgrade decisions.

Coming soon....Benchmark system for VaM. Have a few more hours patience šŸ¤ 

(I needed to create this resource page first so I got the link already.....which I can then use in the VAR package. Chicken & Egg problem šŸ„ )

Read more about this resource...

Just out of curiosity: Would it be somehow possible to limit the GPU usage of VaM?
Monitoring it is already a huge step up, really, but in my case I always end up at 99% when finally doing renders and I'd much rather have shitty performance than a burned out GPU haha

TBH whats the point of this benchmark when even top gaming pc can't handle 4 person scene with 60 fps. Is vam really that bad optimized?

@Rekki In Desktop mode you should enable VSync, find it in VaM's settings. For more fine control check out my FrameRateControl plugin, it's part of Essentials.
That's the thing though, the higher the FPS, the worse it gets. I use this framelimiter plugin to keep it at 20 fps, cause if I let it run 60, the usage is at 70% easily without much going on in the scene.
TBH whats the point of this benchmark when even top gaming pc can't handle 4 person scene with 60 fps. Is vam really that bad optimized?
I guess it's mostly that. My 970 died on VaM, my 1070 now has to be bottlenecked for its own safety as 99ing all the time isn't the healthiest thing at all. Shame.

TBH whats the point of this benchmark when even top gaming pc can't handle 4 person scene with 60 fps.
VaM has very different requirements than most games. What exactly these are, that's what we can find out here.
For example what I already found out is:
  1. On my machine resolution scale in VR does not do much to FPS at all, so much improved image quality for "free". At least for 1.0x vs. 1.5x. Going to 2.0x kills it :D
  2. Mirrors are insanely expensive for some reason, although they just render the scene at low resolution. VaM is CPU bound, so rendering an additional time (2x for VR) should not matter that much.
Is vam really that bad optimized?
VaM is not an AAA game where you have a 1000 people working on it.....so someone can spend 3 years full-time to optimize some hair shader or what not.

Yes i know vam is AAA game but... this game is best out there. We have to appreciate it. Only downside is performance... What machine do i build for this game to run atleast 60 fps. Nasa supercomputer?

Great work, thanksļ¼.....concerning your first paragraph:

ā€It would be really helpful when deciding whether you want to spend some extra 100ā‚¬ on that faster RAM module, different CPU, etc. Does it make sense to sink money in an RTX3080....or is an 3070 enough?ā€œ

How do we tell from FPS shown in your scenes that which hardware we need to upgrade, if we don't want to upgrade all of them simultaneously?

How do we tell from FPS shown in your scenes that which hardware we need to upgrade, if we don't want to upgrade all of them simultaneously?
Well the theory is that you find someone with a similar system, just with the faster graphics card or whatever component you plan to upgrade. You both run with the same settings and resolution/headset and see what the result is? That's why I made this free from the start instead of my usual EarlyAccess, despite working on this for 3 months. We need data, lots of data :)

I'm getting a "modified version" error. Has the latest version not had its checks updated? Downloaded it from the hub browser in game, clicked open scene when it was done, then clicked the green run button. first time it gave a session plugins error and the modified versions error, fair enough on the plugins. i disabled them all did a hard reset then tried again and still got the modified error

this is what the hub looks like to me.

1634764944691.png

also is there a difference between VR and flat screen? i've tried to run in pancake mode. not tried VR yet

thanks for taking the initiative on this :)

@WanderingWomble It should work both in Desktop and VR modes. For session plugins, you need to actually remove them (save a preset first so you can restore later) and restart VaM to make sure they are fully gone. If you still getting an error, please share a screenshot as there are various slightly different messages.

Hi MacGruber! Great idea! Just letting you know I'm receiving the same errors as WanderingWomble that it's a "modified version of the Benchmark." I downloaded from the web hub, however.

Ok, at least for @WanderingWomble the issue seems to be that VaM decided spontaneously that the AudioSource for the needed to be in a slightly different "better" place. That's micrometer scale, but of course that's enough to make the plugin think "stupid user modified the scene" o_O
I may need to find a different way to check scene integrity. Already some ideas, but it may take a while.
1634796207429.png

@WanderingWomble
Had the same error, make sure you first hit the "apply official settings" button BEFORE running the test. Solved it for me.

Last edited:
What is Asynchronous Spacewarp or Motion Smoothing?

• By default most (or all) VR headsets try to reduce motion sickness by introducing additional interpolated images when your machine can't keep up with your headsets native refresh rate. Oculus calls this Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) while SteamVR uses the term Motion Smoothing (MS). While both implementations are a bit different, basically the goal for a 90Hz headset is to stablize the game framerate at 45Hz (or 30Hz), while your eyes still get the 90Hz with additional interpolated frames inbetween. This is usually a good thing, so normally, if your system can't keep stable 90fps all the time, you would want it enabled. However, for a Benchmark it makes it impossible to get useful measurements, apparent differences between machines would be very small and mostly just random noise as you can only end up with 30, 45 or 90fps. Find instructions how to turn this off below.

Man... i will never thank you enough for this explanation. That thing changed DRASTICALLY the overall performace of all my scenes. I have a GTX 1080 GPU (an old gory) and, before that, i had the costant problem of FPS switching from 72 to 35. I turned ASW off in the Oculus Debug Tool (i have a Quest 2) and... whoa... everything changed! Now i can run all my scenes above or around 60 fps... with CameraWindow on and, i think (not yet tested), even reflections. For me... this is more than enough.

That said... i want to report that i have also the same problem of WanderingWomble and HolySchmidt and solved the same way as HolySchmidt. I tired it only one time. If i discover something else, i will let you know.

Thank you again... of course, even fot that ESSENTIAL plugin. :)

@HolySchmidt Might it be the HighQualityPhysics setting? (but that particular atom or anything else in the environment except the characters should not have physics for exactly this reason...)
I have no idea, you programmed it :p
I'm just the dummy infront of the screen clicking on buttons and expecting everything to work perfectly šŸ˜

MacGruber updated Benchmark with a new update entry:

Version 2

Changelog for Benchmark v2
  • Hopefully fixed those false "modified version" errors. These seem to have been caused by starting out with any PhysicsRate other than my favorite 60Hz and some obscure float-inaccuracies within VaM. This should fix your problems, @WanderingWomble @kylekyle25 @HolySchmidt.
  • Fixed not counteracting VR head tracking in "Run Scene Only" mode as advertised.
  • Simplified integrity...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Awesome . Thx so much :)

Hej why are some settings displayed as off although i have them on for example "Glow"?
I see that in others benchmark results also.

Hej why are some settings displayed as off althouh i have them on for example "Glow"?
When running the "Official Benchmark" settings are enforced for the run and later reset to whatever you had before. This is to make results comparable. If you want to experiment with different settings, use the "Custom Benchmark" button, it just runs with your current settings.
Note that "Glow" interacts rather terrible with hair, that's why I have it off for the official settings.

Thx for explaining :)

Does my renderscale settings affect the benchmark or is the benchmark fully native ?
No matter what i use the Benchmark will use enforced right ?