Appearance presets not working inside VAR

WolfmanVR

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
wolfmanvr
So I'm working on a scene that relies on changing appearance presets, and I included them in the VAR when doing the package build. But, when I move the VAR to a "clean" VaM installation, none of the appearance presets work. It throws the following error:

!> Could not load json Custom/Atom/Person/Appearance/Preset_WolfmanVR_Cherry.vap

However, if I use 7-Zip to look inside the VAR, it appears to be in the correct place:

appearance_problem.jpg

It seems like VaM isn't seeing the presets inside the VAR.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--WolfmanVR

Last edited:
I did some playing around and looking at other people's VARs that included Appearance Presets. It appears that unless the Appearance Preset is actually in the local Custom\Atom\... folders, it will be ignored by VaM. Sure, I can click on "All Flattened", browse to the VAR, and select the Appearance Preset that way, but it kind of ruins what I'm trying to accomplish. I think the only fix is unzip the Appearance Presets under the respective Custom\Atom folders.

It appears that unless the Appearance Preset is actually in the local Custom\Atom\... folders, it will be ignored by VaM.
Nope, it should work without any issue.

How have you built your package? By adding just the scene JSON and then by clicking on "Prepare package", or by adding your scene and appearance files manually?
If you have built your scene correctly, the first way should automatically bring up all the appearances used in the scene.

By the name of your scene, I guess you have an UIButton that changes that appearance of a character. My guess is the issue is at your UIButton level.
The trigger on that button should refer to the path of your appearance file, using "LoadPresetWithPath":
1652110504565.png

After being packaged, when you open the scene from the package, you'll see that your button will correctly point towards your package name (i.e. "WolmanVR.PackageName.VersionNumber:/Custom/Atom/Person/Appearance/Preset_WolfmanVR_Cherry.vap").

Do NOT use "LoadPresetWithName", as it will try to find the appeareance with a hardcoded path. In your case "Custom/Atom/Person/Appearance/Preset_WolfmanVR_Cherry.vap", which doesn't exist on a clean install.

Yep, you've nailed the problem, @ZRSX! I was using "LoadPresetWithName", and it was only working on clean VaM installations if I copied appearance and pose files down into the Custom/Atom.... directories.

I tested changing an Appearances Preset and a Pose Preset to use the "WithPath" Target, created a new VAR, migrated it to a clean installation, and BAM, it works as I want it to without manually putting files in folders.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated! Now to fix about 50 more buttons... :ROFLMAO: 😫

Back
Top Bottom