Question Allowable/optimal texture parameters for uploading a new floor

cyran lycan

Reactions
I want to add some floor texture options for creating scenes within VAM. If I want to upload a new floor texture, what files types are accepted and what are the optimal/allowed graphics parameters for such a file?

Update: seems from poking around one can apply a .jpg of various sizes to an atom such as a floor or wall. If anyone has other thoughts or knowledge to guide such, feel free to share.

Upvote 0
Update: seems from poking around one can apply a .jpg of various sizes to an atom such as a floor or wall. If anyone has other thoughts or knowledge to guide such, feel free to share.
You can load .jpg, .png & .tiff (i think that's all supported, you can load .gif as url on image panels...but that doesn't count as image/texture slot)
.jbg is universal, tbh great choice to save on size (without much quality loss, at ~half the size of .png & .tiff)
for alpha textures or when you need transparency you gonna use .png (obviously), but for everything else stick to .jbg.

It's true, you can apply any size (ratio), but if image is not 1:1 it's gonna be of (especially on flat stuff: floors, walls, cubes...etc)
You gonna need to use tile/offset sliders to reposition & resize the image (unless is some painting on the wall, maybe 16:9, and you wanna use unusual ratio).

I guess overall size depends on texture, how much details?, do you use normals(bumpMap)?, do you care about file size?, is it in foreground or background?
1k - should be the minimum (lowest quality, smallest file size)
2k - is good enough (average)
4k - if you wanna details (when you don't care about file size)
8k - go for it only if you give zero f* (..idk what else to say, just don't go ALL.png) 🤣

Loading 8k floor/wall textures is just waste of everything...especially if in background.

Upvote 0
You can load .jpg, .png & .tiff (i think that's all supported, you can load .gif as url on image panels...but that doesn't count as image/texture slot)
.jbg is universal, tbh great choice to save on size (without much quality loss, at ~half the size of .png & .tiff)
for alpha textures or when you need transparency you gonna use .png (obviously), but for everything else stick to .jbg.

It's true, you can apply any size (ratio), but if image is not 1:1 it's gonna be of (especially on flat stuff: floors, walls, cubes...etc)
You gonna need to use tile/offset sliders to reposition & resize the image (unless is some painting on the wall, maybe 16:9, and you wanna use unusual ratio).

I guess overall size depends on texture, how much details?, do you use normals(bumpMap)?, do you care about file size?, is it in foreground or background?
1k - should be the minimum (lowest quality, smallest file size)
2k - is good enough (average)
4k - if you wanna details (when you don't care about file size)
8k - go for it only if you give zero f* (..idk what else to say, just don't go ALL.png) 🤣

Loading 8k floor/wall textures is just waste of everything...especially if in background.
Hey, thanks so much for the rich reply! In regards to ratio: can the wall atom be stretched into a rectangle to correct for an image that isn't 1:1? Or, does it remain a cube where one would want to edit it into square prior to applying? That is assuming one were not going to tile.

Upvote 0
Hmm...if i understand the question, than no, there's 'default' ratio that's expected (you can stretch wall as much as you like, but it still expects 1:1 image).
For example: if you have wall size of 2.000x2.000 and you load 2000x1000 image , it's gonna be streched across entire wall to cover it.
Only way to reduce it (or 'center' it) is to photoEdit & put that 2000x1000 image as layer on 2000x2000(1:1) image (if that makes sense).
That way it's not streched and you have your initial 2000x1000 image, but as 2000x2000 instead (with transparent stuff).

Upvote 0
Hmm...if i understand the question, than no, there's 'default' ratio that's expected (you can stretch wall as much as you like, but it still expects 1:1 image).
For example: if you have wall size of 2.000x2.000 and you load 2000x1000 image , it's gonna be streched across entire wall to cover it.
Only way to reduce it (or 'center' it) is to photoEdit & put that 2000x1000 image as layer on 2000x2000(1:1) image (if that makes sense).
That way it's not streched and you have your initial 2000x1000 image, but as 2000x2000 instead (with transparent stuff).
What I was asking if in the scenario you described (a 2:1 image on a 1:1 surface that then is stretched) if you can just stretch the surface so the atom the image is on is then stretched to fit w the image ratio. You can do that with a second life object...just stretch the object into shape. Or, are you limited to having a wall be 1:1 in ratio?

Upvote 0
What I was asking if in the scenario you described (a 2:1 image on a 1:1 surface that then is stretched) if you can just stretch the surface so the atom the image is on is then stretched to fit w the image ratio. You can do that with a second life object...just stretch the object into shape. Or, are you limited to having a wall be 1:1 in ratio?
When you use texture as material it's gonna 'stretch to fit'
Only way to maintain ratio of image/texture without stretching is to use imagePanels (url), or you could increase specific scale of atom.
Here an quick example using 1024x1024 (left) and 1024x512 (right) images:
all 4 imagePanels at default scale settings
imagePanel.jpg

top 2 are loaded as url (so you can see actual image size better) and bottom as _mainTex (material)

You can stretch imagePanel scale to better fit image on material side.
imagePanel2.jpg

In this case scale X increased to 2.000 is gonna 'fix it'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Or you can simply use shapes (cubes or whatever) and tweak the texture tiling to fit your ratio on the object. Every channel can be adjusted with an offset and a tiling value.

Upvote 0
When you use texture as material it's gonna 'stretch to fit'
Only way to maintain ratio of image/texture without stretching is to use imagePanels (url), or you could increase specific scale of atom.
Here an quick example using 1024x1024 (left) and 1024x512 (right) images:
all 4 imagePanels at default scale settings
View attachment 100699
top 2 are loaded as url (so you can see actual image size better) and bottom as _mainTex (material)

You can stretch imagePanel scale to better fit image on material side.
View attachment 100704Thanks. I will use that plugin.

In this case scale X increased to 2.000 is gonna 'fix it'.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom