Question Solution for hair clipping through floor/CUAs?

Reactions
Hello fellow VAM appreciators,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to prevent hair from clipping through objects like floors or CUA environments.

For example, if I took a girl with long hair and positioned her in a "piledriver" orientation, her hair would fall through the "floor" (wall atom or slate) or through the floor of a CUA environment. Is there a way or method to prevent this from happening?

Thanks for your answers in advance

I figured out the answer to my question - I simply had to jack up the hair collider radius, then I manipulated the hair with a scaled down wall atom

Upvote 0
Changing hair collider may work and not give bad results on the hair, but there's a simpler way that works with all hairs. Turns out hairs collide with capsules and spheres, so make a platform of capsules arranged side by side, add them to a subscene atom, save it, and then you can load that plaform on any scene you need it with as many copies as you want.

Upvote 0
Changing hair collider may work and not give bad results on the hair, but there's a simpler way that works with all hairs. Turns out hairs collide with capsules and spheres, so make a platform of capsules arranged side by side, add them to a subscene atom, save it, and then you can load that plaform on any scene you need it with as many copies as you want.
Does that work better than using a slate? How about using a sphere flattened out to a disc shape?

Upvote 0
Doesn't the slate take a infinite horizontal width or can't be hidden with alpha?
I only know of the sphere and capsules working on hair, and using multiple capsules as a "squared raft" worked well, but I'm open to better/easier options,

Upvote 0
The slate is claimed to work, but it seems like it depends on the hair. Some yes, some no. The slate can be resized, and the material hidden, but if there's something with better collision, I'm open to it. What I do with the slate is scale it down to about 0.05 and then embed it in a bed, or table under the model's head. I don't like the hair collider radius method, because it looks unnatural.

Upvote 0
I'll do some testing and comparison. If the slate works as well as the capsules, I'd rather use the slate. Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0
I tried the ISsphere on one hair that's problematic. The sphere is no better at hair collision, but it has the added problem of not wanting to stay embedded inside a table. It pops out. I guess since the slate is 0 thickness, it doesn't pop out. Good to share notes.

Upvote 0
After a few more experiments, I conclude that if the CUA has collision, the slate doesn't do anything. If there's no collision surface, then the slate can do it. I found one partial solution. If you pose the figure, then select the hair and dial collision radius up to max, then reset it, the hair seems to collide properly with the surface. The problem is, if the scene has a pose change in it, that will fail because pose changes usually reset the simulations.

Attachments

• 1691432842.jpg
    1691432842.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I think the slate has fewer limitations than the sphere. At least it will stay embedded. I do need to try the raft of capsules, tho.

Upvote 0
Here's a subscene with around 10 capsules stacked side-by-side. It gives the rectangular surface I've needed, and as a subscene you can just make as many as needed, or edit it for other arrangements.

Attachments

• Capsules.json
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom