A VR centric performance Guide for Virt-a-Mate (& other VR apps)

Guides A VR centric performance Guide for Virt-a-Mate (& other VR apps)

Can confirm that VDXR works fine with a launch.bat - I think his questions were meant in the context of Upscalers and which works on what connection method. Also, theres alot of individual things to consider when it comes to the best "plain" performing connection method, for example, not everyone has the optimal wifi connection speed and stability - in such a case Link cable quality is vastly superior. Youre not wrong though, directly launching via Virtualdesktop with nice wifi yields unheardof performance!

Last edited:
Can confirm that VDXR works fine with a launch.bat - I think his questions were meant in the context of Upscalers and which works on what connection method. Also, theres alot of individual things to consider when it comes to the best "plain" performing connection method, for example, not everyone has the optimal wifi connection speed and stability - in such a case Link cable quality is vastly superior. Youre not wrong though, directly launching via Virtualdesktop with nice wifi yields unheardof performance!
How can you launch without SteamVR and via VD directly? Can you share the launch.bat you are using? Thanks!

sharing my launchbat wont help because my exepath is in there, but at the bottom of Saints guide here are instructions on how to set it up: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/quest-3-passthrough-recording.39622/
Well, my humble problem is that when using the bat with VD, it still ALWAYS starts via SteamVR with Quest3.

So e.g this doesn't do squat as SteamVR still kicks in (Steam is closed):
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "X:\VAM\VaM.exe" -vrmode Oculus

Well, my humble problem is that when using the bat with VD, it still ALWAYS starts via SteamVR with Quest3.

So e.g this doesn't do squat as SteamVR still kicks in (Steam is closed):
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "X:\VAM\VaM.exe" -vrmode Oculus
try removing the -vrmode Oculus and double check if the C:\ location is actually the location you installed virtualdesktop.streamer to

try removing the -vrmode Oculus and double check if the C:\ location is actually the location you installed virtualdesktop.streamer to
Thanks, but it didn't work either, but finally renaming openvr_api.dll to openvr_api.dll.orig under VAM\VaM_Data\Plugins did fix the problem of SteamVR starting, yay!

Last edited:
Thanks, but it didn't work either, but finally renaming openvr_api.dll to openvr_api.dll.orig under VAM\VaM_Data\Plugins did fix the problem of SteamVR starting, yay!
Awesome, thanks for sharing your findings! These things and VaM are such a freaking mistery - what works on one PC/client somehow doesnt work on others. The VRperformancekit for example works on my SSD vam installion, but constantly crashes on the HDD where i check vars before doing uploads. :D

VDXR works just fine with VAM
You gotta use VD's launcher and launch the Vam.exe

now if I try and set VD to use SteamVR I get the controller issue you're talking about, but VDXR works just fine as long as you set VDXR in VD and launch it via the system tray icon.
Sorry but that is incorrect information we shouldn't be passing to everyone. What you are doing is launching in OCULUS RUNTIME, not VDXR RUNTIME.

Proof in recorded video, I did exactly your steps. The runtime is OCULUS:

From the dev of VDXR: "This program is an implementation of the OpenXR standard for Virtual Desktop on Windows. It allows you to run OpenXR applications without SteamVR."

VAM is an OpenVR game, not OpenXR, easily confused.

Conclusion: VAM Cannot run in VDXR without OpenComposite, and controls are a bit broken in that

Awesome, thanks for sharing your findings! These things and VaM are such a freaking mistery - what works on one PC/client somehow doesnt work on others. The VRperformancekit for example works on my SSD vam installion, but constantly crashes on the HDD where i check vars before doing uploads. :D
Yes, but I could not get the upscaling properly at all: was jerky stuttering even in menus. However, standalone FSR worked amazingly fine vs. VRperformancekit.

Last edited:
Sorry but that is incorrect information we shouldn't be passing to everyone. What you are doing is launching in OCULUS RUNTIME, not VDXR RUNTIME.

Proof in recorded video, I did exactly your steps. The runtime is OCULUS:
View attachment 323138
From the dev of VDXR: "This program is an implementation of the OpenXR standard for Virtual Desktop on Windows. It allows you to run OpenXR applications without SteamVR."

VAM is an OpenVR game, not OpenXR, easily confused.

Conclusion: VAM Cannot run in VDXR without OpenComposite, and controls are a bit broken in that

Take with truckloads of salt (& sorry for the nitpicking)

Uhmmmmh - Sorry, I'm ... not quite convinced. Firstly, since when is mbuchia the dev of VD? GuyGodin is the dev of VD, no? Secondly, you've "merely" shown a screenshot of the diagnostic overlay. Could very well be that OpenXR is running in the background, while the overlay is still showing "Occulus", eg. bcs GuyGodin hasn't yet gotten around to updating the overlay. Or maybe "occulus" signifies "OpenXR for Quest2/Quest3, but OcculusRuntime for Quest1" (I do remember from the VD Discord that OpenXR compatibility was in the works a while ago.).

Lastly - VaM did and does run with native OcculusRuntime, so, in my understanding it is NOT "an (exclusive) OpenVR game"? Or am I mixing smth up here?

Best procedure would probably to ask for clarification in VD Discord? (Both mbuchia and GuyGodin are active there, afaik)

Take with truckloads of salt (& sorry for the nitpicking)

Uhmmmmh - Sorry, I'm ... not quite convinced. Firstly, since when is mbuchia the dev of VD? GuyGodin is the dev of VD, no? Secondly, you've "merely" shown a screenshot of the diagnostic overlay. Could very well be that OpenXR is running in the background, while the overlay is still showing "Occulus", eg. bcs GuyGodin hasn't yet gotten around to updating the overlay. Or maybe "occulus" signifies "OpenXR for Quest2/Quest3, but OcculusRuntime for Quest1" (I do remember from the VD Discord that OpenXR compatibility was in the works a while ago.).

Lastly - VaM did and does run with native OcculusRuntime, so, in my understanding it is NOT "an (exclusive) OpenVR game"? Or am I mixing smth up here?

Best procedure would probably to ask for clarification in VD Discord? (Both mbuchia and GuyGodin are active there, afaik)
Alright salt time no worries

1. I didn't say developer of VD, I said developer of VDXR - the runtime. VDXR is the runtime developed together with Mb & the VD team.
2. Overlay for VDXR has been patched a few days after launch, it always shows the correct runtime now. Been like that for months. Can ask Mb if you want clarification for this, he will tell you the same thing.
3. Feel free to ask us questions on the discord, we are there.
4. VAM has 2 VR runtimes - OpenVR, and Oculus (OVR). What runtime it doesn't have: OpenXR. Therefore, no "native" VDXR.

Alright salt time no worries

1. I didn't say developer of VD, I said developer of VDXR - the runtime. VDXR is the runtime developed together with Mb & the VD team.
2. Overlay for VDXR has been patched a few days after launch, it always shows the correct runtime now. Been like that for months. Can ask Mb if you want clarification for this, he will tell you the same thing.
3. Feel free to ask us questions on the discord, we are there.
4. VAM has 2 VR runtimes - OpenVR, and Oculus (OVR). What runtime it doesn't have: OpenXR. Therefore, no "native" VDXR.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying! Maybe I mixed smth up - I vaguely remember Meta working on OpenXR support for the Quest(s) a while ago and had assumed, that once that's done, the VD team would also adapt their reverse-engineered runtime accordingly (just as GGodin did for the original Occulus runtime back in the day).

So ... OpenXR yes, but not directly from the VD team? Hmmmmmh ... how's mbuchia with support & bugfixing? (and didn't he have smth to do with OpenComposite?)

FYI: https://github.com/RavenSystem/VRPerfKit_RSF

Fork of fholger's vrperfkit. Implemented some stuff that fholger said they planned, but never finished. Still fiddling with it (so far, it gives my Quest1 the jitters, but not much else.)

Anyhow - this is what the maestro that this guide is talking about, was talking about. Thought it might be interesting for some folk. If you find it usefull, and find good settings, have the good grace to share your findings, at least with yours truly.

Ta

Just use Openvr_FSR with steam. gives me 20+% better fps than using the bat file, totally stable, and looks just as good. Plus im able to remap my controls in steamvr. Yall doin too much lol.

I just can't make anything work =(

The VR mod App doesn't make any difference. Someone said the foveated rendering will only work with SteamVR Runtime, but even selecting it in VD settings, it uses oculus runtime

Launching the game through SteamVR will not let me see my controllers

The VRPerfKit_RSF has such a strong jitter that 30 seconds looking at it made my eyes hurt

I'm using Virtual Desktop and launching the game using the tray icon

I just can't make anything work =(

The VR mod App doesn't make any difference. Someone said the foveated rendering will only work with SteamVR Runtime, but even selecting it in VD settings, it uses oculus runtime

Launching the game through SteamVR will not let me see my controllers

The VRPerfKit_RSF has such a strong jitter that 30 seconds looking at it made my eyes hurt

I'm using Virtual Desktop and launching the game using the tray icon
You need to have the normal steam app running before you open steam VR, or you won't have any controllers in VaM.

This makes game a lot smoother, amazing!!

Just use Openvr_FSR with steam. gives me 20+% better fps than using the bat file, totally stable, and looks just as good. Plus im able to remap my controls in steamvr. Yall doin too much lol.

how do you do this? I use VD and bat file: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "C:\VAM\VaM.exe"

which launches it and bypasses SteamVR. Is there a better way?

how do you do this? I use VD and bat file: "C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "C:\VAM\VaM.exe"

which launches it and bypasses SteamVR. Is there a better way?
Curious if you tried the Openvr_FSR route and how that worked for you.

What's your FSR config? What's your Steam config? I always get confused with where to set all the scaling sliders. What's yours in VAM? How can we tell what's happening where?

Has anyone else had vrperfkit stop working? I already tried quest 2 and 3 and they don't work, it started to fail in March, I also tried OpenVR-FSR-App and none of the options work... I don't know what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom