A VR centric performance Guide for Virt-a-Mate (& other VR apps)

Guides A VR centric performance Guide for Virt-a-Mate (& other VR apps)

Cool, happy to help. I usually use VD with steamvr and this - while you lose the ability for the fixed foveated from holger's newer VRperf, this is still my favorite way to use VAM in vr. My reasons:
- Huge GPU utilization decline for almost the same graphics
- VD allows me to seemlessly switch to hand tracking on quest 2 and soon on my focus 3 and my xr elite
- VD already has Fixed Foveated built in for the streaming part (post vam)

Enjoy
News to me that virtual desktop has fixed foveated. Is that built in without a toggle, and just is in use as default?

News to me that virtual desktop has fixed foveated. Is that built in without a toggle, and just is in use as default?
correct they use the ffr from the quest 2 on the image captured from the pc stream. Not sure on pico, i'll know in a few weeks if this is the case for vive products (focus 3 and xr elite)

But that's already mentioned in the resource page ;)

Gah! Sorry - I tested both the vperfkit and the fsr tool a while ago & couldn't get the former to work for me back then, so to me, this was "novel".

How should I start the game? I assumed it was the VaM (OpenVR).bat but that didn't work because SteamVR keeps taking over

As of an Oculus update released a few days ago, I can no longer get VaM to launch with the VRPerfkit. Anyone seeing the same issue?

Is there any way that the texts are not affected using VRperfKit? They look too blurry.
I updated the game to the 2023 version (I had the 2021 version) and with that it went up between 5 and 10 fps, then I used OpenVR but it doesn't seem to work, I tried vrperfkit and it worked increasing about 10 fps but the menu texts are too blurry .

Wow dropping steamvr really does give extra fps! And significantly faster loading for some reason.
I can't get vrperfkit to work though, I'm using Virtual Desktop without steamvr, on a Quest2, and it just never turns on, with this message in the log :
Code:
[19140] (!) ERROR: Failed to create graphics resources: Failed creating output swapchain:  (-7000)
[19140] (!) ERROR: Could not initialize graphics resources; game may be using an unsupported graphics API
The game runs normally, no scaling, no foveated rendering, just at its normal resolution.

And without steamvr I can't use the other method with openfsr either :(
Is there anything I can do?

Apparently Virtual Desktop by itself without steam just cannot use vrperfkit... :(

BUT

I want to mention SGSR (snapdragon game super resolution) for those using Virtual Desktop. It's under streaming settings, and it's supposed to upscale to ultra from any lower setting.

Seems like it's pretty recent, I had no idea it was even there, and it upscales on the quest2 itself, so there's little to no overhead on your pc. I tried it on potato quality, with SSW on, and I had a steady and smooth framerate for the first time :O VaM itself ran at like 35 to 40+ fps (this is pretty high for my setup) due to the potato resolution, but SSW filled the intermediate frames seamlessly, and the resolution was actually fine! Not Ultra quality fine, but very very nice.

Sorry if this is old news just thought this is a fitting thread.

Apparently Virtual Desktop by itself without steam just cannot use vrperfkit... :(
Sorry, late to the party - i successfully use vrperfkit through Virftual Desktop USING THE OCULUS connection (not steamvr). I do this with my quest 2 AND Vive Focus 3 AND Vive XR Elite

Not sure why others are struggling. Side note I use this in conjunction with the snapdragon super resolution.

Maybe have a try on a vanilla install and rule some things out

Sorry, late to the party - i successfully use vrperfkit through Virftual Desktop USING THE OCULUS connection (not steamvr). I do this with my quest 2 AND Vive Focus 3 AND Vive XR Elite

I just got that error, found it mentioned on vrperfkit's github with no more info about it, and then found this issue. I don't know really what's going on other than that.

How is it with SGSR ? I assume SGSR is worse than FSR or nvidia's thing, so starting from an already upscaled image should help?

have you tried using a bat file like this?

"X:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "X:\VAM\VaM.exe"

have you tried using a bat file like this?

"X:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "X:\VAM\VaM.exe"
That's what I'm doing to not use steamvr. OpenFSR or vrperfkit work with steamvr but I'd rather avoid it.

If you're bat looks like above it SHOULD NOT launch steamvr, it should launch the oculus client

I tried playing with this guide for a month for VR. Not working at all for me. Keeps crashing

X:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "X:\VAM\VaM.exe" -vrmode Oculus

Will fix the issue you're having. You gotta have the -vrmode Oculus inside the bat file.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand how do I start.

I extracted both files but nothing happens (hotkeys from yml file dont work like open debug etc). Seems kinda obvious because how the game is supposed to know that I need to load this dll? What am I missing?

Sorry for my absence - I rely on the Hub to send me a notification for new messages on Resources ive put up. Somehow the notifications stopped for this and my AI contest threat for whatever reason.

The Guide was written with either the early 1.2 or late 1.1 VaMClient at that time, it seems some things have changed. Normally, my vam crashed around 1 out of 5 startups with the performance kit set up, this isnt the case anymore. It now crashes every time. I'll put a notification at the top that its outdated to not waste anyones time.

Im also very thankful for your contributions and workarounds. I'll be able to spend more time for VaM things in early october, ill be reworking and updating this Guide after testing all your suggestions and adding some new methods to gain FPS. :)

1. Do i have to launch VR mod everytime before launch VAM? Or is it 1 time thing?
2. If i change settings on VR mod will it apply in game or do i have to restart vam?

upgrading from a Rift i had for 7 years to a Quest 3. so can i get sexy fairy's flying around my room with this? only saying fairy thinking it be the only thing that work well moving around ur room

Maybe I read it wrong but it seems like the new software works with SteamVR-run headsets like the Index - is that correct? If so that is fantastic

Back
Top Bottom