A "I am new here" or "getting started" link in the top menu?

atani

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
atani12.gitlab.io
I am wondering if having a menu item named something like "I am new here" or "getting started", linking to the "getting started" page in the wikie for example, would be useful.

Why?

Someone new to the Hub and VaM can be easily be overwhelmed. Even just going to the wiki or Forums can be very confusing to understand what to look for. Having a link to a themed page in the top menu for newcomers might ease this confusion and inform what the user can expect from the Hub and VaM.
The page itself can be curated in any way you want, what is wanted is a clearly named menu item.

Hi, @VaMRainey
With the Steam release it's likely that many necomers to VaM will be accessing the Hub, even if just looking for basic information. It's on that thought that I tag you to see if the above is something that could help reduce confusion and repeated questions.
Essentially is just a link to whatever page you want it to go, but the name would make it very clear to someone new.

Hi, @VaMRainey
With the Steam release it's likely that many necomers to VaM will be accessing the Hub, even if just looking for basic information. It's on that thought that I tag you to see if the above is something that could help reduce confusion and repeated questions.
Essentially is just a link to whatever page you want it to go, but the name would make it very clear to someone new.

Good thinking, I'm gonna bring this to @VaMDeV's attention as he's in control of the Wiki. :D Thanks!

In general, this forum is not well organized by structure. There's still the categories "Help" AND "Questions and Answers". This is not only unnecessary but creates confusion as well.
FAQs are not on top, instead of hiding it in "General" there could be a seperate "How to get started" subforum above "General" with a "I'm new here"-thread and links to all the informations needed for a beginner as a sticky.

Off-topic posts are not in the "Latest Posts" timeline so sometimes you don't even know that something is happening there. 5 "Latest Posts" is not enough to me as well, should be 10 in my eyes.

If I don't have a request or want help, the only category besides off-topic is general. So there's only ONE subforum for essential stuff like, I don't know, what is general? Sounds pretty important to me. It's not enough. I had to think about it but to me, all this is a bad structure. Just my 2 cents.

Having a look into "Customizations --> Looks" there's even more requests for looks and nobody cares. It's a plain mess.

And my theory is, because there is no clear arrangement and it is kind of a mess, there's not as much contribution as there could be.

Last edited:
In general, this forum is not well organized by structure. There's still the categories "Help" AND "Questions and Answers". This is not only unnecessary but creates confusion as well.
FAQs are not on top, instead of hiding it in "General" there could be a seperate "How to get started" subforum above "General" with a "I'm new here"-thread and links to all the informations needed for a beginner as a sticky.

Off-topic posts are not in the "Latest Posts" timeline so sometimes you don't even know that something is happening there. 5 "Latest Posts" is not enough to me as well, should be 10 in my eyes.

If I don't have a request or want help, the only category besides off-topic is general. So there's only ONE subforum for essential stuff like, I don't know, what is general? Sounds pretty important to me. It's not enough. I had to think about it but to me, all this is a bad structure. Just my 2 cents.

Having a look into "Customizations --> Looks" there's even more requests for looks and nobody cares. It's a plain mess.

And my theory is, because there is no clear arrangement and it is kind of a mess, there's not as much contribution as there could be.
navigating on vam forum remembers me all that fun as when practicing Geländesport (during my 20yo!) ... after a big rain... lot of splashes, lot of accidents but a lot more fun, indeed, lot more fun 😂

Back
Top Bottom