Fixed (1.20.77.3) Mouse rotation now completely broken over Remote Desktop.

VamDazzler

Reactions
This is a clarification of sub-reports from https://hub.virtamate.com/threads/mouse-look-node-rotation-broken-in-desktop-mode.3690

Since the dawn of Virtamate I started using VaM in 2018, I have been unable to use mouse look, or use the rotation orbs. It was a fairly hefty price to pay to be able to set up scenes while my kids were awake (my Linux work machine is in my office, but the VR machine is in the main rooms), but Vam still made it very much worth it.

With 1.20.77.2, I am now unable to rotate nodes with shift/ctrl mouse drags as well. This removes any possibility that I can use Virtamate over RDP, which will extend my scene-building time by more than 10x since I will now have to "work" where I "play" during restricted hours. Basically unusable.

Last edited:
RDP was not something I considered even trying to support. VaM started off as a VR-only app with no desktop control, so your statement of "Since the dawn of Virtamate" is not really accurate. Your post is a bit inflammatory, and not exactly motivating me to fix this.

RDP is a bit of an issue because Unity's hardware access functions like Input.GetAxis() don't work across RDP. Controllers and other hardware would have similar issue if VaM supported those. Most Unity 3rd party assets use Input.GetAxis("Mouse X") and Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y") to get a mouse axis that allows for smooth control which is the case for the rotation handles. The only option I can see that works with RDP is to fake this using mouse (cursor) screen position changes and treat those as a jagged axis control. You have to capture the cursor position in one frame and then calculate the difference in the next frame. This does not return a smooth mouse response so it is not a great solution for all users outside of RDP usage.

In 1.20.77 release I fixed a bug/issue with mouse look mode not working in combination with node manipulation (move/rotate). To do that, I had to switch to using the Input.GetAxis() functions for the mouse input when calculating node rotation. Input.mousePosition is what I was using, but it doesn't give correct values in mouse look mode as it always returns the center screen position.

To make RDP mouse work for handles and other node manipulation, I would have to switch to Input.mousePosition and use the delta from last frame to fake the axis input. And that doesn't work in mouse look mode for the reason I stated above. Therefore the only solution I could give for RDP would still not fix mouse look mode.

A bit of searching shows VaM is not the only application that doesn't work correctly with mouse look:

If I am unable to fix this, perhaps you can consider another remote connection solution that can pass the relative mouse movement correctly?

I've tried VNC, again today, to no avail. I don't mean to be inflamatory, it's just that I can't use any future VaM release if I can't find a workaround.

I was able to confirm and replicate this issue. You are missing a lot more mouse functionality than just the node rotation and mouse look. I'll see if I can add an alternate solution. It will probably require a new user preference because I don't want to change default smoother mouse control that can be obtained when using the direct hardware GetAxis functions that can return finer-grained values than a pixel-based cursor change solution would.

Thank you so much! I know this is a bit of a corner case, but it's one that I think is used by more people than you would expect.

I have the same problem, so I'm happy to see that you will try to fix that.

For the next tech level, I'm trying to use it with VR..(I'm on wmr) .But I think the solution is not into VAM so I dont ask to fix it. I just wonder if some one just succed to make it working like that, remotly.

@invisio The patch that fixes remote mouse interaction is already out. For WMR, the key is to get SteamVR working with WMR 1st and make sure it is running before launching VaM. VaM includes controller bindings that should work with WMR out-of-the-box, but you can further customize them in SteamVR controller bindings area if you don't like the mapping or something is not working. Here are a few tip posts for WMR:

...I'm not sure you understand what I'm trying, sorry it's probably because I dont speak very well english.

I use VR vam without problem. I want to use it in VR but remotly on distance computer, using windows remote desktop.
I have steam and steamVR runing on both machines. both machines can run VAM VR, but @office I have a high level worstation (ryzen 5900/64gram/rtx3080), and I want to run vam on it, instead of on my laptop@home that runs vam @ 30fps only.

I powerup my laptop and my office workstation (with WOL, and both connected to the net by optical fiber). I remotly login @officeworstation, and, I run SteamVR on it.
But when I plug my headset on my laptop @home, the workstation@office doesnt detect it. (the laptop does, and I have to close its wmr portal). I force the wmr portal to open on worstation@office, but it still doesn't detect my headset.

One more time, It's not a problem with vam but with steamVR remotly access, so don't take time to think about it, you have enough to do with vam and vam2. I just explain what I'm trying to do in case somebody else read it and have a solution..

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom