Won't fix (Will fix in 2.X) FPS drop when moving the camera while a Person's window is opened

via5

Reactions
1) Create an empty scene
2) Add a Person
3) Select it (click the Cycle button, for example) so the control window opens
4) Move the camera by holding the middle or right button. Zooming with the wheel also works but is less obvious.

I get about 250 fps with just a Person atom and the UI closed, even while moving the camera. If the Person's window is visible (in any tab), the fps drops to about 80 when moving the camera. It seems to happen on both 1.20.1.4 and .5, I didn't go back earlier. Looking at the Performance Monitor, it looks like the numbers themselves only update about 5 times a second while moving the camera, so there's something funky going on.

The problem is they way the UI was done in 1.X. The UI itself is in world space and moves around as you move the camera. The Person UI has lot of tabs, and even if only 1 tab is active at a time, the whole panel containing all of the tabs is moved, and Unity is not so great when moving 1000s of game objects around, causing the large frame rate drop. This will be fixed in 2.X only where the UI system will be completely redone and limit the number of active game objects in the UI to be just what is visible at the time.

I feel like this happens without the UI open. if the camera is still, the scene looks smooth, if you start moving the camera, the FPS drops. This is probably most noticeable as the FPS is closer to your max FPS, or sometimes when Vsync is on.

Back
Top Bottom