Question why can the player only stand on some atoms?

osmium

Reactions
How do some atoms like IslTerrain/IslOverlook (see "ResortBase") or ModernRoomBed (see "Scene1") achieve a 'floor' that varies based on location, but yet atoms like Cube or AptChair do not?

When I say 'floor', I mean that when the player moves or teleports to that location, their vertical position is moved up or down to reflect the height of the object (as if the player were standing/sitting on top of it). The teleport tool shows this vertical position prior to teleportation.

IslOverlook is the most extreme example, in that the player can move/teleport to two different vertical positions that overlap at the same X and Z coordinates.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with collision or physics properties; it is as if there is some attribute provided by Unity when these objects were authored. If it is an attribute, what is it called?

It also doesn't seem to be a function of PlayerNavigationPanel. Said atom will act as a 'floor', but its absence doesn't present atoms like IslTerrain, IslOverlook, etc. from working.

Thanks for any practical insight.

It also doesn't seem to be a function of PlayerNavigationPanel.
Those old isTerrain/IsOverlook environments have multiple levels, plus buggy af.

While working on a scene i was losing my mind, everytime i moved outside NavPanel IsTerrain would pull me down.
And if i managed to get under NavPanel i would get stuck inside sort of invisible collision (with glitchy & slow movements).
So i had to "fly" outside (panel area) and above it, to fix it.

Maybe try increasing NavPanel scale?
For me that did the trick, at least it prevented future falling into abyss. 🤣

Upvote 0
Maybe try increasing NavPanel scale?
For me that did the trick, at least it prevented future falling into abyss. 🤣

Hmm... thanks. I'm realizing that my description could easily fit the scenario that you describe, but that scenario wasn't a problem I've yet encountered. It sounds pretty awful, though.

My interest was understanding why these atoms have this property and how that changed how they were authored. I thought the level changes made scenes far more interesting, although judging by your description of the unintended side effects, perhaps I should be careful what I wish for.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom