Question What is the relationship between VAM and DAZ studio?

capta134

Reactions
I'm trying to understand why a VAM user wants to use DAZ Studio.

1: Do they create models on VAM and sell DaZ Studio?

2: Is there a real benefit in importing looks from DAZ?

I can understand the possible benefits of importing CUAs. But in terms of look, is there any benefit?

Solution
Yes, @Riddler creates top quality skins for Vam and most of them are free, clothes too.

What I've done with some Daz G8 characters I own is fit them to the G2 base, as described in the guide I linked to, then use a skin already available in Vam. It also works with G3. There are a lot of really nice G3/G8 characters in Daz. I've also converted some Victoria4 skins to G2 for use in Vam, but that's because I have a Daz product that makes that easier. I can't easily convert the V4 characters to G2. Converting a G8 skin to G2 would probably require Substance Painter, and that's above my pay grade...

It also kind of depends on what work flow you're used to or are comfortable with. In my case, Daz is easier because I have a long...
The meshes in Vam were purchased with interactive licenses from Daz. The built-in skins and some characters were too. This is legal because the assets cannot be extracted from the game. The base is Genesis 2, M and F, with different UV maps supported. Some people use Daz to do character modeling (I do), others use Unity or Blender. Anything ported over directly from a Daz store asset cannot be posted on the hub due to copyright limitations. A morph you create in Daz can be ported and posted on the hub here. You can even convert a G8 model to a G2 model.

For your own use, there's no problem importing and using G2 characters from Daz. You just can't republish them.

Upvote 0
The meshes in Vam were purchased with interactive licenses from Daz. The built-in skins and some characters were too. This is legal because the assets cannot be extracted from the game. The base is Genesis 2, M and F, with different UV maps supported. Some people use Daz to do character modeling (I do), others use Unity or Blender. Anything ported over directly from a Daz store asset cannot be posted on the hub due to copyright limitations. A morph you create in Daz can be ported and posted on the hub here. You can even convert a G8 model to a G2 model.

For your own use, there's no problem importing and using G2 characters from Daz. You just can't republish them.
What is the benefit of importing G2 characters from DAZ? Are they more realistic or look better?

Upvote 0
From a user perspective, there's no difference. If all you want is some characters to play with, there are tons to choose from right here. Some Daz characters do look nicer, but there are skins here that can make any character look just as good (anything by @Riddler ). If you're creating new characters, Daz is one possible avenue. Remember also that Daz has come a long way from G2. They're up to G9 now (having skipped a few numbers in between).

Upvote 0
From a user perspective, there's no difference. If all you want is some characters to play with, there are tons to choose from right here. Some Daz characters do look nicer, but there are skins here that can make any character look just as good (anything by @Riddler ). If you're creating new characters, Daz is one possible avenue. Remember also that Daz has come a long way from G2. They're up to G9 now (having skipped a few numbers in between).
Good explanation.

And true they are up to G9 but VAM 1.xx can only use G2. Do you know if there is a benefit to transforming DAZ G8 to G2 to be used in VAM? will it look better?

Also, what do you mean anything by @Riddler ? Is this a content creator for skins?

Upvote 0
Yes, @Riddler creates top quality skins for Vam and most of them are free, clothes too.

What I've done with some Daz G8 characters I own is fit them to the G2 base, as described in the guide I linked to, then use a skin already available in Vam. It also works with G3. There are a lot of really nice G3/G8 characters in Daz. I've also converted some Victoria4 skins to G2 for use in Vam, but that's because I have a Daz product that makes that easier. I can't easily convert the V4 characters to G2. Converting a G8 skin to G2 would probably require Substance Painter, and that's above my pay grade...

It also kind of depends on what work flow you're used to or are comfortable with. In my case, Daz is easier because I have a long history with it. I have an app for Daz that creates face models from a photo (Headshop). Most of the looks I've published followed this flow:

1. Headshop a photo to a G3/G8 base model for the face (I never use the Headshop generated texture)
2. Apply a Daz skin texture for use in Daz
3. Spin some morph dials on the G3/G8 model till I like it
4. Convert to G2
5. Import the G2 model to Vam, adjust morphs
6. Apply a free Vam texture that looks like the original

The advantage of this flow is it's simple for me, and I can publish looks on the hub.

What's probably the more common flow is to export a G2 mesh OBJ from Vam and do the modeling in Zbrush/Blender, etc. then port it back in as a morph.

Upvote 0
Solution
Daz is also required to make new clothing. Any clothing item you make in another software needs to be imported through daz and saved as a scene subset for the built in vam clothing importer to use it.

Upvote 0
I didn't liked Genesis 8 and 8.1 that much. Many models looked to "plastic" which I didn't liked it. But since I have a new computer and Genesis 9, I want to get back to Daz3d again. I'm even planning to buy Victoria 9 to have a base to start with.

I also keep on using VaM, simply by the fact that it is very easy to use and i've build my own characters that I want to keep working on. But the technology that VaM is running on, is kinda dated. Lighting is limited and it uses Genesis 2. Another thing that I don't like about Genesis 2 is the facial expressions, that's why I want to start working with Genesis 9. The animations and facial expressions on Genesis 2 feels way to artificial.

This is Victoria 9, compare this to the pictures I have on my profile album. I really hope that VaM 2.x get's a Genesis 9 upgrade aswell.
SecretProjectPopupBeauty33.jpg

victoria9prerelease.png

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom