Question What is the best way to delete scenes / looks etc?

Virtyourmate

Reactions
Website
hub.virtamate.com
Hey there

• what is the best way to delete a scene / look?

So many scenes seem to integrate themselves deeply into the system so even removing the VAR doesnt stop it and their is residual files if searched.

Im on my second VAM install as my first one is SOOOO LARGE That it barely functions.
And even by using only VAM hub installs the new VAM install already has many missing files and issues.
I believe it is all those errors which slow VAM down... ?

• So maybe there is a plugin or app to do this?

thanks

There's some applications around that do some kind of work with this. I never tried them, no idea how well they do.

Some advices to prevent a slow and beyond recovery VAM:
  • Stay away from assets with more than 50 dependencies; apart from specific cases, they're usually poorly packaged.
  • You can have more than one VAM folder; useful if you want a curated VAM, a testing VAM, a clean VAM for packaging, etc.
  • Be more selective, try not to download everything.
  • Remember what kind of assets you don't want to have around, even if it's a dependency; if you change the looks straight away on new scenes, perhaps you don't need to download the look marked as a dependency.
Longer term solutions depend on how much you're willing to do and the things you want to have.
I chose a very hands-on aproach, a big time investment at start but now easy to keep. This included editing almost all VARs, removing stuff in them I don't want, editing the meta.json, a trim that makes them different from the original VAR. Lots of problems can happen this way, only sugested to those willing to put a lot of time to get to a stable place. I also remove older versions of VARs and have them in subfolders for easier file management outside VAM. Naturally, one needs to be very selective on what to download or else your maintenance grows immensely.
The big benefit with all this work now is that my VAM is super neat and performant, no errors at all, but this is a extreme way of doing things only for those willing to put in the time.

But just following those bullet points above is good enough to keep things under control reasonably well.

Upvote 0
There's some applications around that do some kind of work with this. I never tried them, no idea how well they do.

Some advices to prevent a slow and beyond recovery VAM:
  • Stay away from assets with more than 50 dependencies; apart from specific cases, they're usually poorly packaged.
  • You can have more than one VAM folder; useful if you want a curated VAM, a testing VAM, a clean VAM for packaging, etc.
  • Be more selective, try not to download everything.
  • Remember what kind of assets you don't want to have around, even if it's a dependency; if you change the looks straight away on new scenes, perhaps you don't need to download the look marked as a dependency.
Longer term solutions depend on how much you're willing to do and the things you want to have.
I chose a very hands-on aproach, a big time investment at start but now easy to keep. This included editing almost all VARs, removing stuff in them I don't want, editing the meta.json, a trim that makes them different from the original VAR. Lots of problems can happen this way, only sugested to those willing to put a lot of time to get to a stable place. I also remove older versions of VARs and have them in subfolders for easier file management outside VAM. Naturally, one needs to be very selective on what to download or else your maintenance grows immensely.
The big benefit with all this work now is that my VAM is super neat and performant, no errors at all, but this is a extreme way of doing things only for those willing to put in the time.

But just following those bullet points above is good enough to keep things under control reasonably well.
Than you that is helpful , I may revisit this once I have taken your advice.

While youre here being helpful..may i be so to bold to ask another question and get a TWOFER haha

• What is the quick and easy way to import a look with custom assets into a new scene?

so like a cartoon character with a tail etc. such props are always lost when loading up an appearance etc. but i vaguely remember there being a way to resolve this but ive forgotten during my recent sabbatical lol

See below I recently did this by hand and it took a lifetime to import each look and then the many CUA lols
SO i really should get a plugin or app or solution.... or risk going mad making pony parties haha (wtf!? ;).

pony parade.jpg

Upvote 0
Here:

These are session plugins. Follow the instructions and soon you'll be able to load a appearance preset with the CUA you associated it with.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom