Answered What free content is allowed for use for paid content?

seventhofapril

Reactions
I searched the whole site but can't find any rules on this.

What is allowed? If I take a FREE environment, animate characters in it and then put a price on it. Am I doing something illegal?

Same for plugins that are free and looks.

My argument would be that the assets are still free to get, you just pay for the scene (animation) I created but want to be sure.

For example, right now I have a scene with 2 models created by me with my own animation but using skins textures and plugins from free sources.

This depends on a number of factors:
  • What licence was used by the original creator? E.g. some creators here release content using one of the "NC" (= non commercial) variants of the CreativeCommons licence.
  • Are you actually including content in your own package or are you just referencing another VAR package here on the Hub?
In case of trouble, contacting the original creator is always a good idea. E.g. I had recently a clothing item that was marked for non-commercial use only, but the intention of the creator was only to prevent anyone from re-releasing the clothing item with minor modifications and make money from that. Usage in a paid scene is probably totally fine, but you should confirm with the original creator.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom