• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

What are these errors?

baldee

Reactions
I've been getting these errors lately...even on a fresh install...and most of the files are downloaded from HUB...thanks in advance

!> Exception during zip file scan of AddonPackages\LO.[Hair]PonyTail.3.var: ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipException: Cannot find central directory
at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipFile.ReadEntries () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipFile..ctor (System.IO.FileStream file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
!> Exception during zip file scan of AddonPackages\VAMFantasy.Bael.7.var: ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipException: Cannot find central directory
at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipFile.ReadEntries () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipFile..ctor (System.IO.FileStream file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There's another thread here with similar errors. The consensus is that you need to install Vam somewhere other than the Desktop, or any Windows protected folder. Move the whole thing to C:\Vam, or C:\Games\Vam.

Edit: See:

There's another thread here with similar errors. The consensus is that you need to install Vam somewhere other than the Desktop, or any Windows protected folder. Move the whole thing to C:\Vam, or C:\Games\Vam.

Edit: See:
I have it installed on a separate drive which Windows is not installed on...does it need to be installed on the same drive as Windows??

I have it installed on a separate drive which Windows is not installed on...does it need to be installed on the same drive as Windows??
No, just outside of anything Windows considers protected. Var files are just zip files with a special structure. Try opening the one causing the problem in 7zip or Winzip. If it doesn't open, the file is corrupt.

• Ensure you have read/write permissions on that folder
  • Run VAM as admin if it's still happening
Last case is what @SlimerJSpud says, the var might be corrupted. Delete it and download it again.

Could you shine some light on what was your problem, so that the answer can help someone in the future? thank you!

Could you shine some light on what was your problem, so that the answer can help someone in the future? thank you!
I did a fresh install of Windows and VAM and they went away for awhile...but now they are coming back...so I have no idea...did all the suggestions and its still happening

Can you tell me WHEN exactly, this is happening, at what stage (pre-load of a scene, post load of a scene, when loading a scene after you have already another loaded... etc).

Reinstalling Windows to fix erros in VaM is pointless unless your system is really messed up in multiple ways.

These are corrupt VARs. See the names and delete them.
I have one and the error is just like that.

Reinstalling Windows to fix erros in VaM is pointless unless your system is really messed up in multiple ways.

These are corrupt VARs. See the names and delete them.
I have one and the error is just like that.
I reinstalled Windows for other reasons...I think I will just isolate the VARs and delete them at this point.

Last edited:
Can you tell me WHEN exactly, this is happening, at what stage (pre-load of a scene, post load of a scene, when loading a scene after you have already another loaded... etc).
I posted the error and a example VAR that shows the issue, if you're interested:

@baldee (cc @atani)

I had the EXACT same issue yesterday with one of Jackaroo's vars (lips & nails). The second I start VAM and load a scene with it, the scene does not trigger any issue, no warning, no error.

If I simply load another scene with the same package, or hard reset THEN reload the scene... I immediately get the error, BUT the package loads properly.

I have no fucking clue why, but there is definitely a weirdness that comes from having already loaded that var file.
I also have removed and re-downloaded the package, and the file is definitely valid. It is a zip file and it DOES load properly after a fresh start.

I suspect there is a problem somewhere, but this might be very very hard to pin point.

@baldee (cc @atani)

I had the EXACT same issue yesterday with one of Jackaroo's vars (lips & nails). The second I start VAM and load a scene with it, the scene does not trigger any issue, no warning, no error.

If I simply load another scene with the same package, or hard reset THEN reload the scene... I immediately get the error, BUT the package loads properly.

I have no fucking clue why, but there is definitely a weirdness that comes from having already loaded that var file.
I also have removed and re-downloaded the package, and the file is definitely valid. It is a zip file and it DOES load properly after a fresh start.

I suspect there is a problem somewhere, but this might be very very hard to pin point.
Sometimes I get the errors when I restart VAM...without doing anything they just show up after a restart

@baldee (cc @atani)

In my linked example it's not the same issue as you describe as the downloaded VAR is not valid (16 KB).
For baldee it could either be a corrupt VAR, gives an error when opening with a compressed files toll and errors all the time in VaM, for such the only solution is deleting the VAR; or could be a situation like you describe where it's valid and behaves in a weird way.

In my linked example it's not the same issue as you describe as the downloaded VAR is not valid (16 KB).
For baldee it could either be a corrupt VAR, gives an error when opening with a compressed files toll and errors all the time in VaM, for such the only solution is deleting the VAR; or could be a situation like you describe where it's valid and behaves in a weird way.
how can I tell if the VAR is valid?

how can I tell if the VAR is valid?

Simply try it : )

Let's say your var is a haircut. Try if you can load and use the haircut.
If it's a look, try to load the appearance preset.

If you can't find the resource for that var, then it may be corrupt. From there, simply try to open the var with your favourite zip program. If it opens properly then the file is correct. If it throws an error and you can't see what's inside, then it's corrupt : )

Simply try it : )

Let's say your var is a haircut. Try if you can load and use the haircut.
If it's a look, try to load the appearance preset.

If you can't find the resource for that var, then it may be corrupt. From there, simply try to open the var with your favourite zip program. If it opens properly then the file is correct. If it throws an error and you can't see what's inside, then it's corrupt : )
Ok got it...all the files that give me these errors load correctly in scene...and I am able to open them with Windows zip program....is a mystery 👀

Ok got it...all the files that give me these errors load correctly in scene...and I am able to open them with Windows zip program....is a mystery 👀

Yup, you're in the same situation as I was talking about with Jackaroo's var. I don't know where it comes from.
Honestly, if the error triggers, but the scene works well... don't worry too much.

Start worrying when VAM does not work properly or your scene is bugged. Before that, just ignore that log :p

Yup, you're in the same situation as I was talking about with Jackaroo's var. I don't know where it comes from.
Honestly, if the error triggers, but the scene works well... don't worry too much.

Start worrying when VAM does not work properly or your scene is bugged. Before that, just ignore that log :p
👍

You can also try flushing the cache. Maybe something that's cached got corrupted. Vam will take longer to launch the first time after that, then act normally. Try that to see if it fixes things.

You can also try flushing the cache. Maybe something that's cached got corrupted. Vam will take longer to launch the first time after that, then act normally. Try that to see if it fixes things.
Flushed many times....no luck there

I opened up VAM today and I was greeted with this B.S

This is getting a little ridculus...I opened up all those VAR files with ZIP and they arent corrupted...IDK

wtf.jpg

Again, central directory error. You have a problem on your system that's for sure.
If the zip system sends that "cannot find central directory" it means it cannot read the list of all files. This could be triggered by a bunch of things, but the main one I have in mind is either a system/directory issue, or eventually a memory issue.

Back
Top Bottom