Vive Trackers not appearing in VaM

TdotONY

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
TdotONY
Hi all,

I've got a set of Vive Trackers which used to work in VaM, but for some reason are not working anymore.

They show up in SteamVR and I have set them to their appropriate roles, though right now I am only just trying to get the waist tracker to work.

I see it in SteamVR and it is tracking as expected.

When I load up VaM through the SteamVR menu, as I created a "non-steam game" shortcut to it, I am unable to get the model to attach to the tracker. When I choose a tracker from the dropdown list of parent nodes, and it draws a green line they all just go into the floor. I also do not see the tracker in space when I hold it in my hand, and the option to hide trackers is turned off, so it's not that. It's simply just not being detected/used by VaM for some reason.

I am using the same version of VaM I was using before, when the trackers were working, so I don't understand what may have changed here.

I looked through some other posts and saw that you need to ensure the tracker is assigned to a role in SteamVR, which I have done, and was always done.

I also saw they will not work if you have Natural Locomotion. I do own it, but do not have it installed, so it shouldn't make any difference.

I also saw someone say they opted out of the SteamVR Beta, then their trackers worked in VaM again, well, I haven't used the SteamVR beta in the first place, so that's not the problem either.

Any suggestions as to what I might try? Thanks.

same here very annoying as it was working a year back. Is there any documentation on how to setup trackers. They simply dont appear in VAM any more.
Edit: problem is with steamVR, you need to setup&safe a binding for each tracker...

Last edited:
The only documentation I know of for trackers is this on Trello.

Yes I have seen that and I don't have NaLo installed. It's in my library, but not installed.

Did you figured it out? I have exact same problem as you. I've Oculus rift s, 2 base station 2.0 and 3 vive tracker. I calibrated and made it work in steam vr. I can see all vive trackers in steamvr. But in vam it doesn't even show.
If you resolved your problem how did youu?

Did you figured it out? I have exact same problem as you. I've Oculus rift s, 2 base station 2.0 and 3 vive tracker. I calibrated and made it work in steam vr. I can see all vive trackers in steamvr. But in vam it doesn't even show.
If you resolved your problem how did youu?

No I have not found a solution at all. One day the trackers were working, the next they were not and I have not updated VaM so something in SteamVR must have broken it somehow. I don't know.

As of a few days ago my knee trackers will not show up in VAM, but they do in Steam VR. Foot trackers do show up though. I have checked all of the bindings in Steam VR. If anyone finds the answer, please post!

I'm not sure if VAM does anything with the Tracker Role setting in SteamVR, but VAM does not recognize the trackers if they are set to the default HELD IN HAND. Try changing it to left/right foot. If you see them in possession mode, you are on the right track. Instead of possessing nodes like you would hands, link the appropriate node to the tracker and it will follow the relative position. You will see that the node's Position/Rotation are set to Parent Link, which can be toggled to another setting if you need to make adjustments or want to move the camera to a different spot in the environment.

1.png
2.png

已经配对成功,已经分配左右脚和腰部,在VRCHAT游戏中可以追踪,在VAM里可以正常显示,但不能匹配和控制左右脚,不知道是为什么?
Have matching success, has been assigned foot and waist, in VRCHAT game can normal track, in VAM can display normally, but can't match and control foot, don't know why???????

I'm not sure if VAM does anything with the Tracker Role setting in SteamVR, but VAM does not recognize the trackers if they are set to the default HELD IN HAND. Try changing it to left/right foot. If you see them in possession mode, you are on the right track. Instead of possessing nodes like you would hands, link the appropriate node to the tracker and it will follow the relative position. You will see that the node's Position/Rotation are set to Parent Link, which can be toggled to another setting if you need to make adjustments or want to move the camera to a different spot in the environment.

I had the same problem here, i tried what you explained and It actually worked, thanks !!!

Ensuring the trackers were set to the correct role was the first thing I checked. They were, and did not solve the issue.

Same problem. Roles in steamVR is correct, works with other apps, but VAM does not see vive trackers

I resolved this in SteamVR. Tried everything in this thread, then restored default controller bindings through the Steam overlay.

Hello, for the oculus rift cv1 users with a mixed setup of a htc base station and 1-3 htc vive trackers. I have just got mine working and I already know you would basically do anything at this point for it to work. Worry not. Below is my findings for free and I don't need anything. Xoxo enjoy and have a great day!

I was for months trying to figure this out on and off and today I tried 70-90% of the stuff above with no luck (dw). But I tried something new just while bored asf.

1. I changed my "Current OpenXR runtime" to "SteamVR" instead of oculus. Honestly I don't know if this is important but I did it. You can find it by going in vr, going to the steamvr home. Pressing the left menu button to open the steamvr overlay. From here goto settings. Than goto Developer, then you should see it at the bottom. Hope I explained this part well sorry.

2. After that I added "VaM.exe" and "VaM_Updater.exe" to my steam library. Then on both of them in the steamvr overlay. I went to there settings and applied show in vr library. Then went to controller application settings and set steam input per-game setting to forced on.

3. I double checked that my vive controller was bound to Lfoot in the manage controller settings in the steamvr settings.

4. And I got my first and only results after starting the game not from steam. But from the install folder. OPEN IT WITH THE VR .BAT FILE and Not the .exe -> "VaM (OpenVR).bat"

Honestly I have no clue what I did that actually made it work. But I now have a working vive tracker. So feel free to use my now documentated attempt to see what you can do :)
If it doesn't work still I'm sorry. It might help to know I'm using the steamvr calibration tool. And something that confused me for months was that htc vive trackers NEED AND REQUIRE a htc vive base station. Good luck, have fun and I really hope that this works for you as it did me.

Time to go and enjoy it now. I immediately wanted to show my findings for anyone else struggling as well 😂😅

Thanks for the tips! Solution in my case:
SteamVR -> Devices -> Manage Trackers
All trackers were DISABLED.
Set tracker role for all your trackers (no matter which you choose, it just shouldn't be disabled).
It is strange, because I've set it up some time ago. Maybe it was disabled again after updating/reinstalling SteamVR. Good luck!

View attachment 51897View attachment 51898

已经配对成功,已经分配左右脚和腰部,在VRCHAT游戏中可以追踪,在VAM里可以正常显示,但不能匹配和控制左右脚,不知道是为什么?
Have matching success, has been assigned foot and waist, in VRCHAT game can normal track, in VAM can display normally, but can't match and control foot, don't know why???????
How did you succeed! My tracker doesn't show up at all!

Just in case anyone is struggling with this like i have today: VaM will use the Steam Tracker designation, it does however only recognise specific designations. In my case i found that
-Waist
-Left Foot
-Right Foot
made the trackers appear in VaM properly whereas setting them to "Left Ankle" or "Right Wrist" resulted in the Tracker being rejected from VaM.

Back
Top Bottom