Working Full Body 'Vive' Trackers for VAM for less than $1 each! :)

vamrobotics

Reactions
I had fun with the title. :)

So, in searching for viable alternatives to full body tracking in VAM without spending a fortune, hours ago I came across the concept of using 'AprilTag's for full body tracking. An AprilTag is basically a 'fiducial marker' and can be made of almost anything (paper, cardboard, 3D printed, etc) as long as they have the right 'look' and 'size'. Aside from the AprilTag trackers, you merely need a camera (webcam, phone, etc), and that is it!

Here is a link to the project on github: https://github.com/ju1ce/April-Tag-VR-FullBody-Tracker/ (And if you are wondering, yes, the new AprilTag software can do full 360 degree tracking, the details of such are on their discord)

Best thing is, you can use as many AprilTags as you want, and even better, the AprilTags all 'work' with SteamVR and are fully emulated as 'Vive' trackers in SteamVR!

In the attached video you can see a working proof of concept that I put together over the last few hours using one single AprilTag in VAM and controlling the VAM girl's head with it.

I didn't even do ANY optimizations yet, so I'd call it a success! :D

Last edited:
yeah, the QR tracking systems are quite good. If you can use more than one camera for the setup full 360 tracking is possible too.
There is another system, SlimeVR I think it's called that uses cheap uC boards and an IMU ~$30 per tracker. They emulate the Vive trackers and dont require a lighthouse OR camera, so I would say one of the better solutions. Much cheaper than the $99 per tracker for the genuine vive things that need a lighthouse too.
I'm sticking with the KinectV2 for now, it works really well and I don't need to mess around with sticking things on myself :p

I hadn't heard of SlimeVR thanks. I had been keeping an eye on Tundra Tracker as an alternative to the newer vive trackers; but they've only recently started production validation testing so who knows when we could get them. Until then I guess I'll look at converting my OG vive wands into trackers as I happen to have 3.

Back
Top Bottom