Virt-a-Mate alternative?

I said it in the past, now in the present and I'll say this probably in the future: VaM is a hustle. But if you are willing to put work into it, you'll get a big reward.

It's really a complex piece of software and you have to understand it as a sandbox. Your fantasy is your border. Once you understand the rough basics it will be much easier to create basic stuff. But until then, you spend a lot of hours. 2 hours is nothing.

Your machine specs are totally fine. You have to know VaM eats hardware, literally. There's no "Now I have the ultimate VaM machine!"-state. Every new generation of hardware will be overwhelmed by this at some point. There's a lot of hardware threads in here so just search around a bit. Then you know what is important and what creates pressure on your system.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all of you and your willingness to help I really do. It's simply amazing what this program is capable of doing. Unfortunately as of now I'm totally on the fence about stepping away from it. Its not that it garbage or anything like that. I just don't think I'll ever be able to figure out how to use its features and capabilities. I know how irritating and frustrating it can be when someone keeps asking for help when the answer is somewhere out there. There's just too much variables and conditions involved to find solutions for by searching as every situation is different and doesn't always work. If I'm looking for something specific its like searching for a needle in a hay stack as large as china. I'm sure VamX was created to simplify processes, and even with that I'm having incredible difficulties in understanding what it can even do. Unfortunately I think it may be time to give up or maybe take another go at it later on in the future if Vam 2 ever makes an appearance and if its easier to understand its capabilities. I'm not too hopeful on that though. I just feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

Ah, ok I get it that makes sense why I was having issues trying to get a person into the environment. I kinda had a feeling that the person needed to go first and trying to do it the other way wouldn't work. Been messing around with it a little more and Atani you were right about my issues in the scene going all crazy on me when I tried adding the environment after the person. I turned of the collision on the person before adding the environment in and was able to move and adjust the scene with out it going all nuts on me, the video on youtube helped me with that issue. I'll have to look at more tutorials and resources to find out many of your terminologies I have no idea what CUA's are or some of the other things you mentioned.

Again thanks everyone for contributing all of your information it all helps.
CUA = custom unity assets

I remember using vamX a long time ago but didn't like it so much and prefered to learn how to use VaM directly instead of learning to use vamX.
With anything complex it's perseverence and time that gets you to do the things you want to do. If it's not for you now then maybe some other time.

I remember using vamX a long time ago but didn't like it so much and prefered to learn how to use VaM directly instead of learning to use vamX.
With anything complex it's perseverence and time that gets you to do the things you want to do. If it's not for you now then maybe some other time.
Thank you Atani, maybe I’ll ditch vamx and try to use the original interface little by little. Unfortunately I understand that the beginner tutorials will only cover so much and actually help a great deal but not all basic functions will all be covered. I suppose it seems that I’ll have to comb through everything the software does, what everything is used for and how everything works before moving on to trying to create things. It’s a little discouraging though at times when even the documentation for even the basics flies over my head with terms and processes that are not understood that is if I can find the resources to read up on which is also another obstacle.

Back
Top Bottom