• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

VAM with direct use of WMR instead of SteamVR

noos

Reactions
I was woundering if there is a way to use for example a Reverb G2 directly with Windows Mixed Reality(WMR) insted of getting SteamVR on top?
When I look to FS 2020 it makes a difference if you use SteamVR instead of native WMR from a performace point of view.

There's no way to do it right now. Unity does support it, but it requires a separate build of the game. It's listed on the game development Trello board as something that's planned though.

Maybe it could go to OpenXR instead? It's an open standard that should mean that all VR platforms could run it natively. It would need to use a new version of Unity though, so that could probably only happen for VaM 2.0+.

Thanks for the answer, OpenXR would be also absolutly fine. Looking forward with some hope ;-)

I had similar issues, I don't know if this actually changes anything, but I copied VaM (OpenVR).bat file and edited its content to START "VaM" VaM.exe -vrmode OpenXR.

I used the latest version from github - download link in Per-game installation section.

Last edited:
ok. Did also copy that bat and changed its contend but sadly ther error stays. And u have a wmr HMD right?

Any ideas on how to get Reverb G2 controllers working as expected with OpenComposite and VaM? The A and B buttons work as expected, but I can't move around using the joysticks.

Thanks

Any ideas on how to get Reverb G2 controllers working as expected with OpenComposite and VaM? The A and B buttons work as expected, but I can't move around using the joysticks.

Thanks
Yes i also can only move with grab move, which is ok enough. But A and B button only work in menus for me. I cannot select person nodes or objects in edit mode in the scene. Can u select them?

Acidbubbles keybinding plugin can fix most of the buttons for me. I can set up the analog stick with it too.

@dio
How does it fare compared to SteamVR controller wise? Is it good enough after setting up with keybinding?
If so, is it in a position where a guide could be made to have this information more available than a post, or still not yet there?

@dio
How does it fare compared to SteamVR controller wise? Is it good enough after setting up with keybinding?
If so, is it in a position where a guide could be made to have this information more available than a post, or still not yet there?
its good enough for me. Acidbubble has the guide for keybindings and its ezy anyway.

I meant it in the sense of putting all the things together of using OpenXR with WMR devices, keybindings for controllers, etc, all into a compiled guide.
Someone who's not seeing this thread or Discord will not know about this and be unaware it can be used.

Acidbubbles keybinding plugin can fix most of the buttons for me. I can set up the analog stick with it too.

So far I haven't been able to get the Acid bubbles keybinding plugin to recognize the analog sticks when using OpenComposite :(

Yes i also can only move with grab move, which is ok enough. But A and B button only work in menus for me. I cannot select person nodes or objects in edit mode in the scene. Can u select them?
I had the same problem with my reverb on the first day... then I was stopping trying. Of course I have nothing to say about that good acidbubble keybindings. I must stay with my default settings with crapware steamVR if I want to play vam VR. Shame on HP for the shit compromise that the best visual quality headset must pay to (Valve?) steam gang. That is an ethically bastard-market behaviour that a private client must pay, even if it is concerning mostly gaming. And microsoft too is sharing this responsability, the negative evidence of this crapware drivers synergy WMR-steamVR is visible/touchable when you close steamVR and you automatically enter the WMR virtual default space, if you keep your headset on:
magically everything looks more fluid, responsive and rational in that alternative fucking aborted windows 3d dimension.

Last edited:
So far I haven't been able to get the Acid bubbles keybinding plugin to recognize the analog sticks when using OpenComposite :(
Got it working. One of my G2 controllers has a sticking trigger button so I'll need to find a way to disable that. When it's not sticking, I am able to map the analog sticks just fine!

I had similar issues, I don't know if this actually changes anything, but I copied VaM (OpenVR).bat file and edited its content to START "VaM" VaM.exe -vrmode OpenXR.

I used the latest version from github - download link in Per-game installation section.

i could be wrong, but there is no "OpenXR" command line option. What you're doing instead isn't using OpenComposite (and OpenXR in turn).

Now, to use OpenComposite you need to launch the SteamVR version, as OpenComposite intercepts the calls to SteamVR and sends them to OpenXR. So essentially you're using some other thing (whatever VR mode the game uses when you launch it w/out any command line options).

From what I can tell, OpenComposite just doesn't work with VAM at all. There might be a way to get it to work, but maybe it requires MeshedVR to update VAM to support it somehow.

Got it working. One of my G2 controllers has a sticking trigger button so I'll need to find a way to disable that. When it's not sticking, I am able to map the analog sticks just fine!
Hey i was wondering how did you manage to get the G2 controllers working? Because my thumbsticks for some reason make the camera drift constantly and the left hand is twisted as if i was holding the controller upside down.

Hey i was wondering how did you manage to get the G2 controllers working? Because my thumbsticks for some reason make the camera drift constantly and the left hand is twisted as if i was holding the controller upside down.
Maybe if somehow i could increase the thumbstick deadzone and offset the controller position to rotate it, that could fix it, but i have no idea how to do that.

Back
Top Bottom