How to use MVR with VAM

Winner80

Reactions
Hey together,

could anyone please guide me, how to use a WMR Headset with VAM...
What do I need? How could I get it work with VAM?

Are you having a problem with it? It worked fine for me on my Odyssey+.

Make sure you have SteamVR installed and running. There's no native WMR support.

I don't know if I'd have a problem. I do not know how to start at all.
So I have to install Steam VR on my PC...what's the next step then?
Sorry, but I'm quite new with VR

Okay, let's go through pretty much everything then.

For WMR, install the Mixed Reality Portal. This is necessary to get the headset to work at all. And yes, it has to be running even when you are using SteamVR. Go through the setup and when it's done, you should end up in the WMR portal, a.k.a. Cliff House.

For SteamVR, you have to have Steam installed. Assuming you do, you can install SteamVR for free. You also need to install Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, which is also free. You should then test out SteamVR and make sure that your WMR headset works with it. There may be a small amount of setup (I don't remember). When it's working, you should either see the SteamVR grid, or the SteamVR Home. SteamVR must also stay running for you to run any programs/games that are made for it.

After all that is working, you should be able to launch VaM. Just double-click on VaM.exe and it should launch in VR mode.

I find it best to launch the WMR portal, then make sure that SteamVR starts (start it yourself if it doesn't automatically start), and then run VaM.

Ok, great! Thanks for your support!
But that sounds all very memory-intensive, if all three programs working in parallel. Hope that'll work

Yeah, a lot of people complain about it (not only for VaM), but that's how it is right now.

@WrongTamago Now I got it running.
But the girl is moving away from the centre view. So she's always moving slowly but constantly in a circle away from my view. I don't know how to stop her. And I don't know how to get the UserUI running. I just have the possibility to click on some points of her body...

Okay, great! You're most of the way there.

If there's constant movement, then it's probably thumbstick drift. You could try restarting SteamVR and VaM to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't, then you can adjust the deadzone for your thumbsticks:
  1. Push in the thumbstick to bring up the SteamVR overlay (or just open SteamVR settings on your desktop).
  2. Go to the Controllers tab.
  3. Click Edit Thumbstick Settings.
  4. Increase Thumbstick Deadzone. I think I had it on 25% on my WMR headset.
  5. Push in the thumbstick to close the overlay and test it out.
To bring up the UI for VaM, press the small menu button on the controller. It has three lines on it.

Also, if you'd like to remap the controls, then you can follow my Customizing SteamVR Controller Bindings guide. Note that the screenshots are for Valve Index controllers. I didn't make screenshots for my WMR controls since I don't have that headset anymore, but I did list my control scheme in the guide.

It`s me again. I think I have solved the problem with the movement now.
But maybe you can help me now with an easier mapping of the controls. There are too many options for the beginning. Which do I really need to start playing a little bit with VAM. Not creating own scences, but how to use existing scenes, moving around, POV, etc.

There's some information in the Reddit Wiki. However, it's not very up-to-date.

The easiest way to start is to use the "VaM Hub" Hub Browser in the game. The game can download scenes and dependencies for you that way. Set the category to "Scenes" if you just want stuff to play with.

Another way would be to download the VAR files from here and place them into your VaM AddonPackages folder. There's no need to extract them. Use the Scene Browser to open them.

To play scenes, it depends on how the scene is set up. A lot have buttons to press, which you just point at and click. Some can handle possession of a character, where you see from the POV of that character, control the head and possibly the hands. And yet some others use a plugin called Passenger, where you see from the POV of the character but you can't control it directly. Most of the more recent scenes have some kind of guidance on what to do.

So, I'm using VAM since half a year now. But just with desktop mode. So in general I'm a little bit familiar with the several options like atoms, scenes, etc. But since I have the WMR now, everything seems to be quite more difficult to use. All these nodes e.g. are very irritating to me.
So I was thinking that it'd be easier to start with created scenes to learn how to use the controllers an so on. But I figured out that it's also not so easy to set the right controls to the several triggers, joystick, touchpad, etc. if you don't know what the several controls are used for.

Back
Top Bottom