VaM not starting at all

Chrtokah

Reactions
VaM doesn't seem to do anything. Starting it starts a process VaM.exe taking up 2.0-2.1 MB of RAM and then doing... nothing. I've tried leaving it for half an hour, tried running in adminstrator, checked core integrity multiple times, restarted, redownloaded it, tried an older version, started with VR, without VR, tried running the config-bat, tried using compatibility-mode to win8 (that actually changed the amount of RAM the process was using to over 8 MB but still nothing happened) but nothing works.
My installation-location is K:VaM, so folder permissions also seem to not be a factor. The logs folder is empty except for patch.log leaving me without a clue on that front as well. I have a clean install, not modified it in any way. I am running out of ideas on what the issue could be.
I am using win 10.

also that K:\vam is out of the ordinary, maybe you have a weird setup and it has something to do with your drives? Did you try installing it on another drive?

Yup, did a core check multiple times.
It's installed on a second drive, since I use C: basically only for windows. Does it need to be installed on C:?

it doesn't need to be in c: and it's unlikely that it's the issue, but that's what I'd try myself, I can't think of anything else it could be.

Did it ever work before for you? Maybe it's a gpu drivers thing

Tried running it on C: - no change but I expected as much.
It has never worked on my system. My gpu drivers are up to date and I didn't have any issues with other games until now. My gpu is GeForce RTX 2060 Super if that helps.

None that I know of. Citrix is definitely not installed. Are there any other known unusual software I could check against?

I don't know of any other ones.
It's very strange you never managed to start VaM. Have you ever considered reinstall Windows, maybe something's weird there?

How come you have a K partition/drive? As SPQR mentioned, this is unusual, is there anything specific about your system that sets it apart from other people's systems?

I was also thinking maybe you're on laptop and it defaults to your intel hd gpu card for some reason

you can also try to go to start > event viewer > windows logs> and see if you get any errors or warnings when you run it, in System and maybe Application too

I'd rather not reinstall windows, everything else works fine. Though that may be my only option. I may try to run it in a VM, see if that works.
I like giving my hard-drives persistent letters - since my old D: was changed to a backup-drive, I decided on K: for the current one.
I am not on a laptop but on a desktop pc.
Sadly I cannot see anything happening in the events either. It stays empty whether I try to start the game or kill it.

There should be nothing wrong with having it on a K: drive. I run on D: just fine. Do you have some AV or anti-malware software that might be blocking it or blocking internet access for it? Vam needs that.

Windows Logs has subcategories under that. That's what SPQR mentioned. They are never empty. Also look in Event Viewer > Custom Views > Administrative Events. When Vam crashes, I see junk in there.

Back
Top Bottom