Question VAM eats my ram

orimesh

Reactions
i got 16 gb of ram, vam works great atm but once i load 1-2 scenes vam goes berserk and eats up to 11-12 gb of my ram. how can i reduce the ram usage ? is there an option in game ?

VaM keeps stuff in ram for some reason, the only thing that seems to be working is restarting it from time to time. Otherwise it will keep slowing down until it crashes, even with 34gb of ram I have to restart every like 20 minutes. I consider upgraring to 64gb of ram just to tackle this.

Upvote 0
Vam keeps unloaded textures in memory so they will reload quickly. It's supposed to clear them out when RAM gest short, but there seem to be bugs, and with only 16 GB it's common to run out of RAM and have the program crash. Upgrading to 32GB pretty much solves the problem.

There's a "unload unused textures" (or something like that) on the persons "control & physics 1" tab that will unload any inactive stuff from memory.

But for a full, deep down clean, restarting (or hitting the "hard reset" button on mainMenu > file (open /save), which does exactly the same thing) is the thing to do when memory starts getting short.

Upvote 0
VaM keeps stuff in ram for some reason, the only thing that seems to be working is restarting it from time to time. Otherwise it will keep slowing down until it crashes, even with 34gb of ram I have to restart every like 20 minutes. I consider upgraring to 64gb of ram just to tackle this.
I have 32GB and VaM does not crash at any time. Maybe twice since the last "big" upgrade. Do you know what your reason for the crashes is? Are you creating scenes with animations and stuff and plenty of plugins, clothes and people? Just curious because I have like zero problems. In general my standard scene is an environment with 2-3 lights and 2 to max 3 people, mainly 2.

Upvote 0
I have 32GB and VaM does not crash at any time. Maybe twice since the last "big" upgrade. Do you know what your reason for the crashes is? Are you creating scenes with animations and stuff and plenty of plugins, clothes and people? Just curious because I have like zero problems. In general my standard scene is an environment with 2-3 lights and 2 to max 3 people, mainly 2.

My usual process is opening a new scene with new look, try a bunch of different outfits, mess with the skin, hair, morphs and so on and save it as a new preset, after I repeat this for 5-10 scenes it eventually crashes, I just churn through too much stuff too fast, and since it lingers in memory I eventually run out of it. 32gb is sadly too little for that. If I focus one just one thing I can do it for a very long time, for example when I worked on VR version of my room it was constantly stable. My process of archivising new looks is just too ram demanding. I can accidently leave vam open with a scene playing animations with a lot of assets and come back to it hours later and it's stable.

edit: TToby summed it up nicely, you will be fine unless you play advanced dress up like I do. Dressing and customising models is 90% of my time spend in Vam.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answer. That's different from my behaviour regarding your scene count. But I will have an eye on it.

Upvote 0
Yes, the dress-up doll style is a big torture for VaM:
Load some appearance presets, circle an hour through hundreds of possible cloth combinations, and/or load your clothing presets one after another, while additionally circle through a dozen of skin presets... I bet this was never tested by MeshedVR in this extend.
I often do that, because I mainly like to create my private looks, too. In the last years, I almost have re-created everyone I once knew being not too ugly, plus quite some nice actresses. I am running a bit out of ideas atm. Lol.
As I had 16GB RAM, I pressed the "unload textures" button every maybe 20 clothing sets, being a bit cautious. I completely forgot about that since I have 32GB. Maybe LooksHunter is even more extreme like me. ;)
What VaM really does not like is, to constantly click and load an other clothing item while the prvious one is not being ready loaded... Poor VaM! ;)

Upvote 0
Most of the time I make sure to let everything load first, but finger can slip, I noticed it stutters if I do that. I have to find "unload textures" button, will be very helpful!
Only recently have I figured out (mostly) how to effectively play with morphs to get desired effect, so I have a few of those people of the past as well. I don't even do much with those looks after I'm done with the dress up, I just find the process super relaxing to unwind after work. I'm also only now coming to terms with the fact that my project to clear my "browse all scenes" of all look related scenes is futile, I acquire new ones at a rate much faster than I can handle. I would have to get my internet cut off for months or make this my full time job somehow to ever get there, but it's fine, I'm not going to run out of content to work with until 2.0 will be fully supported. I quess I will just fork some cash for another set of 32gb of ram, 64gb is not too much in my case.

Upvote 0
Yes, after creating some looks, it is super relaxing to only dress them up, to pose them in different poses and to put them in different environments for hours. Dress-up-dolls for adults. At max creating a simple scene like lying on a bed with maybe some few basic plugins (gaze!) and circle force. Ask my poor wife, I can do this in VR for the whole weekend (I have a separate room for this, lol). ;)
But, sorry... this thread was about RAM!

Only to get back to the point: The ammount of RAM is strongly depending on how you are using VaM. Everybody is different!

Upvote 0
Do you use a VR device? I don't have crashes on desktop mode but on VR mode

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom