Question Triggers and stuff

Koryu

Reactions
Ah... I'm now trying to learn triggers... but I hate to say this, I think I'm missing like the very first concept somewhere. I can't even do the very basic "If/then" concept.
I have a community asset atom and a default person atom. the Community asset is the flamey-firey assetbundle- I'm using the "explosion of light.prefab" for this.

Now, I've loaded up the person with the "E-motion" asset, and all I want to do is set it so every time HER state goes to "inquisitive", the Community Asset does the "explosion of light.prefab" function.

I think I'm just having a problem with terminology... because I see "Receiver atom" and "Target" but that seems to be referring to the atom it's on... not the atom I want to ACT upon.

I have logic bricks, but that, too, seems to be setting up on the atom it's on. How do I make this happen:
"If "Person" State is "Inquisitive" then set "CustomAsset" to "Explosion of Light"."

I don't even know which Atom to put the logic brick in... :(

Anyone want to help me out? I watched a few YT vids on triggers, but again that seemed to be on the person acting upon... or else I completely misunderstood (Which is entirely possible). Thanks folks!

VaM's triggers system can only set values or issue actions. They can not read a value.

There are three possible solutions:
  • You could convince the author of E-Motion to add support for triggers, so that the plugin does actively issue those triggers.
  • Assuming this particular state you want to read from E-Motion is exposed as a VaM parameter (so it could be trigger from the outside), you could write your own custom plugin that reads this particular value from E-Motion and then either directly does the thing you want as well or provides trigger UI so you can do it that way.
  • It should be possible to make a generic LogicBrick that can be set to listen for changes of a particular exposed parameter and then allow you to setup triggers for it. But yeah, this does not exist, yet.

Upvote 0
This might explain why I can't do it :D

Thank you for answering! :)

Hmmm.... I think, personally, this would be a fantastic and kinda useful thing for VaM to have... I see things like "Arousal" and "Orgasm percent" as variable numbers that climb/fall in a lot of the assets. It certainly would be cool to have these things be "universal values" somehow in VaM and then build triggers naturally from them. But I'm many many YEARS since I last coded anything (plausibly many decades). But I'll look into how to make Logic Bricks for it. :)

However, for the now, I'll have to come up with a better plan. But I do think I get how Triggers work (based on your reply) Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom