Timeline export/ import problem

StardustVR

Reactions
Hi - I've used the Timeline export function to export a few animations, but when I try to import them into another scene I often get this error:

!> Timeline.AdvancedKeyframeToolsScreen.ImportFileSelected: Failed to import animation: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at VamTimeline.AtomAnimationSerializer.DeserializeCurveFromArray (VamTimeline.BezierAnimationCurve curve, SimpleJSON.JSONArray curveJSON, System.Boolean& dirty) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamTimeline.AtomAnimationSerializer.DeserializeCurve (VamTimeline.BezierAnimationCurve curve, SimpleJSON.JSONNode curveJSON, System.Boolean& dirty) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamTimeline.AtomAnimationSerializer.DeserializeClip (VamTimeline.AtomAnimationClip clip, SimpleJSON.JSONClass clipJSON, VamTimeline.AnimatablesRegistry targetsRegistry) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamTimeline.AtomAnimationSerializer.DeserializeClip (SimpleJSON.JSONClass clipJSON, VamTimeline.AnimatablesRegistry targetsRegistry, VamTimeline.Logger logger) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VamTimeline.ImportExportScreen.ImportFileSelected (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

What's even odder (or is it more odd?? :unsure:) it doesn't always do this. Sometimes it works fine. I'm just saving into the default folder and giving each a unique name. I've tried moving them to a different folder (into folder "StardustVR", for example) and that hasn't seemed to help. I'm stumped. I'm guessing it has to do with the naming convention, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Naming of the file or folder doesn't matter, but you need to import a male atom animation to another male atom, and female to female. If you have existing animations and are importing new animations, the targets also must match. You can try importing into a different segment if there's a disparity of targets between existing and imported animations.

Naming of the file or folder doesn't matter, but you need to import a male atom animation to another male atom, and female to female. If you have existing animations and are importing new animations, the targets also must match. You can try importing into a different segment if there's a disparity of targets between existing and imported animations.

Thanks, Atani. I did - or least I think I did - match male/ female atoms. That being said I did save a bunch of them so now I'm 2nd guessing myself that I may have mislabeled some of them. That would jive with why it works most times and not others.

Thanks - I'll check that out.

Seems to be a Timeline version mis-match. I have worked around this by this by changing the .jon in my saved scenes. Open in notepad and change to latest version. Make sure you get ALL instances of timeline version

Seems to be a Timeline version mis-match. I have worked around this by this by changing the .jon in my saved scenes. Open in notepad and change to latest version. Make sure you get ALL instances of timeline version

This is a hugely helpful tip. That will save tons of time. I did figure out the versions need to be the same, but did not know this. Thank you!

Also - FYI for others who may read this - atoni's point about the targets has been really helpful. If I take the time to try and clean up the targets in the export/ import that has made things a lot smoother, also. Still can be an adventure, but much smoother now. Plus in my early attempts I had to realize sometimes the animation I was seeing wasn't ALL a result of Timeline. Often there are other plugins (Autothruster, etc) you have to account for. Seems obvious now, but less so at first.

Back
Top Bottom