Question The controller things (the one where you got x,y,z and the circles for rotation) is so far off the body part - how to move it back to where it belongs

lifesuckz69

Reactions
I don't know what it's called, which is why searching is hard, I mean the controller thing where you can click and move body parts on the axis and rotate with the circles...Gonna call it "controller" for the sake of readability.

So in a scene I moved the head of a character a lot by grabbing and now the controller is so far off, that I can barely get it again.
I tried menues, searches and fiddling around, but I can't figure out how you can move it, without moving the body part with it (it's in a very delicate pose and moving too much would be a pain)

Its indeed calls a control node, in this case "headControl".

If the pose is delicate, make sure to save your scene regularly. There is no undo in VaM ;)

If you have trouble selecting it, you can can use the Select menu, it the cursor icon in the main menu bar, and choose the Person atom and then the headControl.

Go to the Move tab of the headControl. There you can move the thing via buttons in 1 meter, 10 cm and 1 cm steps. There is also a zero button to reset an axis to zero:

Upvote 0
Thanks, knew about the select menu, sometimes it's really the only way to hit anything, but I could not find the zero button, or probably thought it zeroes the part position instead of the control.

Upvote 0
Its indeed calls a control node, in this case "headControl".

If the pose is delicate, make sure to save your scene regularly. There is no undo in VaM ;)

If you have trouble selecting it, you can can use the Select menu, it the cursor icon in the main menu bar, and choose the Person atom and then the headControl.

Go to the Move tab of the headControl. There you can move the thing via buttons in 1 meter, 10 cm and 1 cm steps. There is also a zero button to reset an axis to zero:

Oh I just tried it, but it does not do what I meant.
My issue is that the controller tends to move somewhere else, so at some point it might be quite a distance away from the actual head, floating somewhere off the body.
I believe that happens if you grab parts and move them in play mode.

Upvote 0
My issue is that the controller tends to move somewhere else, so at some point it might be quite a distance away from the actual head, floating somewhere off the body.
Do you mean it moves by itselve, or do you mean that you have moved it with mouse/VR controllers too far away? First thing should definitely not happen, second is a bad habbit and not really neccessary. Do yo use VR? Do you have a drifting VR cursor?

Upvote 0
You could switch "rotation" and "position" of that node to off state, and then switch it back on. This will snap it back where its supposed to be

Upvote 0
If you grab something and this atom is moving away from you big distances, you surely have a problem with your station(s) seeing your controllers. If I understand you correctly. Grabbing stuff and controlles beeing out of sight for the base is a when shit hits the fan :D

If you can't get something back anymore the only way I know is to "reset pose" in the main "control" menu from each person. Of course all your work is gone after that.

//EDIT
You are using the desktop mode, right? If so, forget what I said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did not get notifications in my mail after a certain point, so sorry for the delay in reply:

Yes, I use Desktop and yeah, I meant I moved it around and it was way further from the actual place (like the controller for the head was 5 heads above the actual models head). gonna try the off and on switch and see if that solves it.

Upvote 0
Something maybe with your mouse settings? Don't know, just comes to mind. Like DPI settings or something? Maybe some settings are not working correctly with VaM?

Upvote 0

I think the issue is that you don't get how the system works.

Each node (what you're calling the controller) is attached to its corresponding body part with a spring. So when you drag a node, the body part gets pulled along, too. But it's also held back by all the other springs holding other nodes in place. The more nodes you have turned on, the worse this problem is going to be.

So if you're trying to move, say, the head, and it's barely moving, it can be tempting to just move the node farther and farther away to get it to move. The problem is that this puts the body under tension, making any future movement even harder.

Simply looking at the active nodes and imagining the springs holding them will let you understand what's going on.

Some good practices to help avoid this problem:

1) only have a node turned on if it needs to be turned on. The "control&physics2" tab has buttons for various mass configuration of nodes. These are usefull, especially after loading a pose. Some of those load with all the nodes turned on, which makes it almost impossible to reposition them. "key nodes on" turns off everything but head, hip chest, hands and feet, which makes the model really easy to reposition. For fine tuning position, you may then want to turn other nodes on as needed.

2) Never let a node get too far from its body. If you find yourself having to drag a node far from the body to get the body part to move, stop what you're doing and look at the other nodes. What's holding it back? Better to fix the problem than fight against it. You never want any nodes spring pulled too tight.

3) Turning a node off and on again is a good quick way to put it back in a position where there's zero tension on its spring.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom