Targets problems

booyakshaka

Reactions
Thanks in advance for anyone trying to help, a couple of problems here.

To avoid possible confusion and make sure we're on same page, I am referring to the control targets that come up when pressing 'toggle targets' . I am using Oculus Rift.

Problem 1. To avoid screen clutter I prefer to have targets toggled off, and select targets by pointing roughly in the direction of where they are, however, they seem to very briefly flash up and disappear, even when I 'home in' on them. Is this intended? Is there a setting somewhere that will change how long the targets will stay on screen doing this? I frequently end up waving my hand-controllers around trying to hit one so they become visible, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, I haven't figured how to replicate what actually makes it work.

Problem 2. The targets often end up yards/meters away from the actual body part they are controlling, pressing the trigger on controller as opposed to the grip does allow me to move the target nearer the body part, but at the same time changes the rotation/position of that part, meaning I have to then reposition with the grip, which then frequently moves the target further away again.

I'm reaching a stage of understanding now where I can make nice poses and am wanting to start on animations, the above problems are slowing this process down a lot, any help greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Problem 1 solved thanks to MacGruber " Regarding 1, with Oculus the targets appear when you touch the button. Oculus "Touch" controllers distinguish between touch and actually press. " if anyone else has same problem.

Last edited:
Regarding 1, with Oculus the targets appear when you touch the button. Oculus "Touch" controllers distinguish between touch and actually press.

No idea about number 2, I don't have that problem.

Regarding 1, with Oculus the targets appear when you touch the button. Oculus "Touch" controllers distinguish between touch and actually press.

AH! that explains the first problem certainly, it seems at times my finger is just resting on them without me realising and that's why they flashing up, cheers!

As example, this is actually now the root target being selected https://gyazo.com/f4e6baa483eb5b47c4b0f8d329708c90

Note that you can upload images here on the hub for something like this by just copy&pasting into the post field:
1609950474551.png

Re: problem 2:

Here's how this works. Each node in VaM is linked to its body part by a spring. The actual body position is a summation of all the forces exerted on it by all the springs.

Consider the situation where you have the hip, pelvis, and chest nodes all enabled. If you try to reposition the hip, you may end up pulling the hip node well away from the body trying to get the hip to move where you want it. This is because it's being held back by the springs attached to the pelvis and chest.

So any time your model has a bunch of nodes outside the body, it's going to be very hard to reposition. The body is stretched out under tremendous tension from all those springs. The solution is to move all active nodes back within the body. toggling a node off then on again is a good quick way to do this. As long as the model is held tight between multiple overstretched springs, it's going to be near impossible to reposition. So try to avoid dragging ANY node too far from its body part, as it will just create more problems for future adjustments. Fix the issue preventing it from moving instead.

As a rule, try having as few nodes as possible turned on. Check out the options under "control & physics 2" for various options to automatically configure nodes in bulk.

Lastly, there are a lot of poses out there that really aren't set up to be modified. Some will have virtually all the models nodes well outside the body. Others are set up to hold their pose by having rotation turned on for every node. I think this is due to some issue with the way the pose was imported/converted from DAZ to work in VaM. I try to avoid these poses, just because they're not worth the time it takes to fix them.

Back
Top Bottom