Suddenly 20 fps

NSFV

Reactions
I've been using VaM in desktop mode for ages. On my old 1080p monitors, I was getting anywhere up to 200 fps on some scenes, even with max settings.
I have recently bought a pair of 144 hz curved monitors. They are set to 2560x1440 resolution and 144 hz. When I run VaM it can't get much higher than 20 fps in desktop mode.

Even lowering all my settings down, my VaM can't manage much higher. I have tried changing my desktop resolution to 1080 and 60hz, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I can't figure out what has changed on my PC to suddenly cause my FPS to drop so sharply. This is with any scene I open and even a fresh install of VaM. I just cannot figure out what the issue is.

Whatever is going on is only affecting VaM I can still play games on Ultra settings at High FPS so I cannot figure out why VaM is having so much trouble.

For reference purposes these are my machine specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32710MB RAM
Page File: 14051MB used, 33659MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 24434 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8079 MB
Shared Memory: 16355 MB
Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

Last edited:
This is the same effect that we people with VR HMDs have. I never have seen 200fps in VaM. Obviously VaM uses the full resolution of your new monitor. It is a big difference from rendering a frame in 1080p at 60Hz to 2560x1440 at 144Hz. Maybe you could try to reduce the refresh rate and the rendering target in the VaM settings. There are those settings for VR, never played pancake games since I've got VR in 2016, so I don't know how it is in the desktop mode. VaM was originally made for VR, so there might be some oddities in desktop mode.

This is the same effect that we people with VR HMDs have. I never have seen 200fps in VaM. Obviously VaM uses the full resolution of your new monitor. It is a big difference from rendering a frame in 1080p at 60Hz to 2560x1440 at 144Hz. Maybe you could try to reduce the refresh rate and the rendering target in the VaM settings. There are those settings for VR, never played pancake games since I've got VR in 2016, so I don't know how it is in the desktop mode. VaM was originally made for VR, so there might be some oddities in desktop mode.

As I said in my above post, I have tried changing my desktop resolution to 1080 and 60hz, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am wondering if the latest Nvidia update might have had anything to do with it.

If you recently updated your NVIDIA drivers, try restarting your machine. Sometimes Nvidia updates don't prompt to restart your machine, but you often still should.

If you recently updated your NVIDIA drivers, try restarting your machine. Sometimes Nvidia updates don't prompt to restart your machine, but you often still should.
Wow, that solved it. I feel so dumb. I could have sworn I had restarted my machine. It works just fine now, even with the higher settings for the monitor. Getting 158 fps with the scene I was testing. Glad it was nothing worse.

As I said in my above post, I have tried changing my desktop resolution to 1080 and 60hz, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am wondering if the latest Nvidia update might have had anything to do with it.

No need for giving me an angry face, I wrote my answer long before you had edited your posting with all that additional informations. Anyways, I am glad that you could solve your problem that easy. You are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom