street pieces

Stephan

Reactions
Does anyone know how to connect street pieces in small and then have them in normal size. Connecting normal sized street pieces is almost impossible as you can hardly reach them and you can't get it straight. If you connect the street pieces together like this at 50 it's easy, but how do you get them to grow together? I've tried almost everything, but nothing works properly. I want to build a long road and want to connect it a small and then make it appear normal size :-(

Its not entirely clear, but I assume your "street pieces" are large CustomUnityAsset, like 50m in size? Building at small scale doesn't make sense, its easier to get the camera far out.

I see four different options to arrange such large objects:
  1. Build your scene in Unity Editor and export it as AssetBundle (if you have the assets in Unity anyway)
  2. Use the MoveTab to lock axis, so your street piece only moves on the axis you want it to move. Use the buttons (including "snap") for fine tuning. You can also set "Position Grid Mode" to Local, so it auto-snaps all the time to the distance you set for "Local Position Grid".
  3. Launch VaM in Desktop mode, fire up my PowerHandles plugin (part of Essentials). Set the "Position Grid" setting (on the plugin) to one meter. Now fly out high with the camera (hold right mouse button while using WSAD keys...hold SHIFT to go faster). Select your street piece and hold both Left-CTRL and SPACE. Moving the object now will make it snap 1 meter steps. Essentially holding SPACE (or not) controls the "Local Position Grid" setting from option 2. Using PowerHandles makes the grid mode way less annoying to use.
  4. Add a single street piece to the scene, then save it. Open your scene JSON file with a text editor, find the street piece. Copy&paste it, make sure to give it a new name and update the coordinates.

Using the duplicate function of AcidBubbles Keybindings plugin may also prove to be an extreme timesaver. It duplicates the selected atom. So add one street piece and duplicate from there.

Using the duplicate function of AcidBubbles Keybindings plugin may also prove to be an extreme timesaver. It duplicates the selected atom. So add one street piece and duplicate from there.

First of all, thanks for the help, but this all sounds too complicated for me. I then have to try to put the normal size piece together. It would have been nice if you connected small assets in small and then set the size so that everything got bigger or smaller at the same time

Back
Top Bottom