Specific categorization for Environments

Saglinger

Reactions
I've noticed that Environments seem to be split between both the Assets category and the Scenes category, and no particularly easy way to find them.

For example, from the Assets category, we have rz67swe's Cyber Room, and in the Scenes we have TacoCat's Rocky Cabin. Both downloads fill the same purpose, providing background elements to a scene, but there's no easy way to just call up room environments among all the assets that are merely props, or the scenes featuring lovers' trysts

I think this calls for either another main category in the menu, or more robust tagging features.

I highly doubt that adding another section/category with solve this.
Just think about it, now we have 2 section and creators are still posting stuff in "wrong" category,
You sure that with 3 options all creators are magically gonna start posting in correct category? ...don't think so :unsure:

Those 2 examples you linked they just need swap places/categories and problem solved.
One is simple .json scene with not a single .assetbundle inside posted inside Assets category
and the other one is Asset (with preview scene) posted inside Scene category.

In my opinion if it's Scene or subScene it should go inside Scene category (yes, even basic SubScene chair, its still not true "Asset").
As for Assets, if you created/ported actual Asset (.assetbundle) and you do have preview/showcase scene (which is fine)
it should still go inside Assets category (that's my opinion).

However there is option to move resources from one category to another (example:scene to assets, early access to free) without deleting/reposting everything.
But some creators are probably not aware of it, that's why stuff are kept inside early-access catagory forever.
click 3 dots on your resource
select move resource
pick new destination category
profit?
moveResource.jpg
using tags is an option (example: scene, asset, environment),
but even that feature is kinda lacking/broken, also people are constantly adding new useless tags (VAM client can't even display them all anymore).

I highly doubt that adding another section/category with solve this.
Just think about it, now we have 2 section and creators are still posting stuff in "wrong" category,
You sure that with 3 options all creators are magically gonna start posting in correct category? ...don't think so :unsure:

Those 2 examples you linked they just need swap places/categories and problem solved.
One is simple .json scene with not a single .assetbundle inside posted inside Assets category
and the other one is Asset (with preview scene) posted inside Scene category.

In my opinion if it's Scene or subScene it should go inside Scene category (yes, even basic SubScene chair, its still not true "Asset").
As for Assets, if you created/ported actual Asset (.assetbundle) and you do have preview/showcase scene (which is fine)
it should still go inside Assets category (that's my opinion).

However there is option to move resources from one category to another (example:scene to assets, early access to free) without deleting/reposting everything.
But some creators are probably not aware of it, that's why stuff are kept inside early-access catagory forever.
click 3 dots on your resource
select move resource
pick new destination category
profit?
View attachment 46628
using tags is an option (example: scene, asset, environment),
but even that feature is kinda lacking/broken, also people are constantly adding new useless tags (VAM client can't even display them all anymore).
I've actually had to explain to two different rather prolific creators on this site that you can, in fact, change a resource's tags after it was posted.

Hi, everyone,
I'm bumping this thread as I was about to ask the same, the creation of a Environments category.

It's been close to 3 years (my god, time flies) since this thread was created and possibly a lot has changed since. Currently the Assets category has more than 1000 resources, from small CUA items to big CUA environments. Considering non-CUA environments the Scenes category, which is now over 3000 resources in total, the landscape (pun, yay :) ) to find environments is now quite difficult and I think a Environment category is possibly something to consider.

Any categorization attempt will bring its problems, there can't be a category system for everything and many resources can be considered to fit in multiple categories. A typical example is the Looks category, where most looks include a scene, with some showcase scenes taking considerable work behind them, so those could be considered for the Scene category. Yet almost everyone places them in the Looks category because those scenes are preseting the main resource provided, the look.
Environments range from a single CUA asset to scenes with many items. Those with scenes often have lighting, plugins, and more that extend the environment's feel. All share something, they are a entity on its own. A CUA bucket in Assets is a accessory, but a room with furniture, doors that open, lighting, is a protagonist in the animated scene you make or sets the theme of how your look will be showcased.
Environments, as scenes or single CUA atoms, can serve as a true category option on their own considering how essential they can be for making a scene, showcasing a look, taking pictures, and other VaM uses.

In terms of numbers I don't have one to show. I expect most resources in Assets to be small items, but there is likely a decent amount of environments there. Taking what happened with the Pose category created last year (currently 128 resources) where most were in the Others category (currently at 229), if there was a need to separate Poses from Others (128+229=357), then the environments in Assets (>1000 plus whatever's in scenes) would surely be something to consider?

As a nube, I find it VERY confusing when dealing with anything CUA. To add something, if I merge the scene containing an item, all the other stuff in the scene comes with. Or go trolling through the addons directory trying to find an item (CUA). Perhaps a system that could shadow items in the different scenes/asset bundles/etc. so a "CUA category" would just be a bunch of pointers? I have been tempted to make sub directorys under AddonPackages to try and sort - but don't know if that would break something. Seems trying to rename the vars to organize would certainly break the system. Maybe like M$ DLL's keep the old name but have it contain pointer to the new name? Thus dependency's can be found? Spit balling.

As a nube, I find it VERY confusing when dealing with anything CUA. To add something, if I merge the scene containing an item, all the other stuff in the scene comes with. Or go trolling through the addons directory trying to find an item (CUA). Perhaps a system that could shadow items in the different scenes/asset bundles/etc. so a "CUA category" would just be a bunch of pointers? I have been tempted to make sub directorys under AddonPackages to try and sort - but don't know if that would break something. Seems trying to rename the vars to organize would certainly break the system. Maybe like M$ DLL's keep the old name but have it contain pointer to the new name? Thus dependency's can be found? Spit balling.
Subfolders in AP are ok to make, but keep in mind this is in a File Explorer organisation way, it doesn't change anything in VaM's Scene browser. You also need to keep tabs on your downloads as you increase the risk of duplicating content.
Changing the names of the VARs is not something you should do as this will have all kinds of repercussions.

Yah, I figured that would be the case. And that VaM downloader does not track subfolder content...will continue to leave alone. At least Browser UI extension allows me to tag.

Tags, tags should be everywhere.
Looks - race, age, hair length, sex
Environment - yes new category with tags - medieval, modern, future, antic, room, etc

Tags are like g-spot for some men. You can have as much g-spot on a women you want, if you don't use them at all or use them incorrectly... it won't work.

The initial thread raises an interesting problem as you do @atani. But no matter what categories/tags you have, it only comes down to the user creating the final asset to put it in the right place.

Back
Top Bottom