• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

Solved Ray of light/light-source solution 🤔

D-Rock

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
subscribestar.adult
Twitter
DeeeR0ck
I've got a flashlight CUA and I thought that it'd just be easier/more convenient to use an invisible spotlight in VAM for the light. It works as far as just being a light source, but it doesn't actually emit a light ray, which is what I'm looking for. Is there a solution?

I don't think you can make the actual light beam visible, like using a flashlight in the fog. But you can fake it. Try adding an IScone (add atom>shapes>iscone)

Set the color to something yellowish and turn the alpha way down, so it's barely visible, and turn physics&collision off. Then physics link it to the flashlight. Adjust the scale so it's about the same angle as the light.

Here's what i came up with in a minute or so. I'm sure it could be improved.
1661284785978.png

Upvote 0
An actual light beam like this reflects off of dust in the air. That's the only thing that makes it visible IRL. In 3D apps, this is referred to as a caustic or volumetric effect. They are extremely compute intensive. Is it possible in VAM to use a map file for the Alpha channel? If so, an Alpha map of random noise could be a better way to fake this effect. Random noise maps can be generated in any number of image editing apps.

Upvote 0
Yes, the Alpha channel trick works. I added an Iscone, as described. Go to Material 1, Textures, add the noise map to _AlphaTex. Lower the Alpha Adjust under Materials. In Material 2, adjust the color as needed. I set the Alpha on Material 2 to -1 so you wouldn't see the base of the cone. The tip of the cone should be hidden inside your flashlight. Play with this and see what you get.

Attachments

• 1661575710.jpg
    1661575710.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3D_Noise.jpg
    3D_Noise.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
In Daz, these are sometimes called Godrays if they come from above. 😇 There are various ways to fake them in Daz too.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom