Question Parent link movement in reverse

whodoodoomechew

Reactions
Is there a way I can make 2 things parented together move towards each other, so as one thing moves up in the Y axis the other thing parented to it will go down the Y axis towards it.
Is there an easy way to link 2 nodes together to do this ?

I have been looking for an answer to this as well. To my knowledge there is no way of doing this at the moment but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
I have been looking for an answer to this as well. To my knowledge there is no way of doing this at the moment but I could be wrong.
I am going to presume that there is some way to do this via a plugin script, unfortunatley I do not know how to code this :(

Upvote 0
I am going to presume that there is some way to do this via a plugin script, unfortunatley I do not know how to code this :(
you would think it would not be that hard to implement, but I do not know anything about coding either. It sure would be useful for interactive scenes. Should be possible...

Upvote 0
I've not tested it, but you may be able to make a kind of seesaw with empty atoms.

If you put three empty atoms in a line, parent the position of empty 1 to the thing moving up to , parent empty2's rotation to empty 1, parent empty 3's rotation to empty 2, then parent the thing you want to go down to empty3's position. as one goes up, the other will go down by the same amount because they are rotating around empty 2.

Upvote 0
I've not tested it, but you may be able to make a kind of seesaw with empty atoms.

If you put three empty atoms in a line, parent the position of empty 1 to the thing moving up to , parent empty2's rotation to empty 1, parent empty 3's rotation to empty 2, then parent the thing you want to go down to empty3's position. as one goes up, the other will go down by the same amount because they are rotating around empty 2.
I have tried doing this, it kinda works but it feels really wonky. Also tried doing some kind of piston mechanism using aim constrain plugin (forces atom 1 to always face atom 2). non of these methods felt natural, specially in VR as it ads a lot latency to what should be a really simple movement. what we would need is a script that inverts coordinates of a given atom in real time (both atoms start at 0,0,0. when you move atom 1 to 0,0,1, atom 2 moves to 0,0,-1. that combined to being able to pick which axis you want to invert, lock, or keep as default would be necessary.) No idea if this is feasible but it seems like a simple concept.

Upvote 0
Is there a way I can make 2 things parented together move towards each other, so as one thing moves up in the Y axis the other thing parented to it will go down the Y axis towards it.
Is there an easy way to link 2 nodes together to do this ?
You don't give much detail what you are trying to build here, but it may be as simple as using two AnimationPattern's to move each object.

And yes, a specialized plugin would be another option.

Upvote 0
You don't give much detail what you are trying to build here, but it may be as simple as using two AnimationPattern's to move each object.
I cant speak for OP but I have been trying to find a way to do this without any animations in a fully interactive scene

Upvote 0

Okay so say, a tracker possessing mans hips, mans hips linked to womans hips, tracker goes up.. womans hips go down instead of up. Hope that kinda makes more sense. I seems like reversing something like that would be an easy thing to do If i knew how to code it unless there is something easy I havent figured out.

Upvote 0

public void Update()
{
containingAtom.mainController.transform.position = somegrabpoint1.mainController.transform.position + new Vector3(distance between the 2 controlers divided by some number);
--- Would this work assuming I knew how to do that inside the vector parenthesis?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom