Oceans Deep

Assets Oceans Deep

Farger

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Farger submitted a new resource:

Oceans Deep - Ocean expansion pack - two ocean types - each with four levels of wave action

This resource includes two type of oceans: 1) murky and 2) tropical. Each set includes 4 levels of wave action. The lowest wave action includes "calm" in the filename, and then the wave action increases in scale from light winds to light gale, and then finally to stormy.

The demonstration scene includes buttons to quickly select each of the four levels of wave action for set 2 (tropical ocean).

More suggestions for the types and colors of ocean effects are welcomed, as I would enjoy...

Read more about this resource...

Is there a way to make directional lights cause glimmer/shine on the surface of the water?
I thought that it could have a slight shimmer with a highly angled light, but I will run some more tests. I purposely chose not to include normal textures since this seemed to result in a more pleasant effect when doing so. I can make a new effect that is a darker hue of blue and also make a version that includes additional textures that would allow for more light reflection, to see if that works better for the scene that you have in mind. This effect runs on a script with 125 settings, takes some time.

Farger updated Oceans Deep with a new update entry:

New blue ocean with light reflecting qualities

This update adds a new set 3 (blue ocean). I have adjusted the materials rendering for set 3 to be slightly smoother, which will enable more of a light glare when directional lights are set to the proper angle. This is a very subtle adjustment, as making the water too smooth will result in excessive light absorption, which will make it difficult to adequately light the overall effect.

Demo scene 2 is also added in this update in order to afford a quick preview of this new blue ocean...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Is there a way to make directional lights cause glimmer/shine on the surface of the water?
Please let me know how the update with the new version 3 works out. I included a demo scene to show the glare off of the water. I am hesitant to make the glare/shininess at a higher level, since doing so comes at a cost of making the water dark and it will eventually get black spots that doesn't look convincing.

Farger updated Oceans Deep with a new update entry:

This is the last update...I promise!

Promises are meant to be broken. ;)

Honestly, I apologize for such frequent updates, but I have made good progress on building new waves. This update adds a new set 4, deep blue ocean. I am also adding a couple of land mass assets for scene building, as well as a new Ocean Demo 3 scene. I wish you smooth sailing!

View attachment 396800View attachment 396802View attachment 396801View attachment 396799

Read the rest of this update entry...

I really loved this asset/scene, but I was a bit disappointed popping below the waterline to find no gradient shift for underwater simulation. I'm sure that's probably pretty difficult to add (and possibly beyond the scope), but the idea of just wading in a calm empty ocean is pretty enticing, especially with the quality of the asset on the surface.

All the same it's a lovely asset to plop ship/yacht assets on.

I really loved this asset/scene, but I was a bit disappointed popping below the waterline to find no gradient shift for underwater simulation. I'm sure that's probably pretty difficult to add (and possibly beyond the scope), but the idea of just wading in a calm empty ocean is pretty enticing, especially with the quality of the asset on the surface.

All the same it's a lovely asset to plop ship/yacht assets on.
I am sorry about your disappointment. I do the best that I can, but I know that I have my shortcomings. There are versions that do somewhat like what you are stating. In one of the older versions of Farger Particle Pack Vol 2, there is an ocean that is somewhat convincing when viewed under water, that effect was used in a bubble demo scenes, and I have used effects like that for the Great Whale, Mellow Submarine, etc It is challenging to provide things that people desire when Vam 1.X is stuck to a very dated version of Unity. It not like creators like me are not trying, but one needs to understand the limitations of what is available in an old version of Unity. Maybe one day though, myself or another creator will find a way.

No need Mate to apologize for frequent updates, we all like to make improvements and there will always be something that needs fixing.
how many times iv'e said last update :ROFLMAO: and still updated .
i agree with CuddleMocap the water that has sun shine on it is missing the glimmer effect , like the water i did for the beach
the other water surfaces look fine that don't need a bright sun .
suppose depends on the type of water shader used . i used SilentWater.

your right it is frustrating being stuck on a old unity dinosaur , and does limit what we can achieve

No need Mate to apologize for frequent updates, we all like to make improvements and there will always be something that needs fixing.
how many times iv'e said last update :ROFLMAO: and still updated .
i agree with CuddleMocap the water that has sun shine on it is missing the glimmer effect , like the water i did for the beach
the other water surfaces look fine that don't need a bright sun .
suppose depends on the type of water shader used . i used SilentWater.

your right it is frustrating being stuck on a old unity dinosaur , and does limit what we can achieve
Yes, each type of approach has pros and cons. The shader that I selected for this resource is good at motion effects with foam and caustics. Other shaders might do better in more of a glass and shiny effect aspect. I did make some changes on set 3 and 4 of this set based upon the ask from CuddleMocap, and it can shine more than the first two versions, but there is so much that I can do with this shader before the glimmering aspects starts negatively impacting the overall results.

I am sorry about your disappointment. I do the best that I can, but I know that I have my shortcomings. There are versions that do somewhat like what you are stating. In one of the older versions of Farger Particle Pack Vol 2, there is an ocean that is somewhat convincing when viewed under water, that effect was used in a bubble demo scenes, and I have used effects like that for the Great Whale, Mellow Submarine, etc It is challenging to provide things that people desire when Vam 1.X is stuck to a very dated version of Unity. It not like creators like me are not trying, but one needs to understand the limitations of what is available in an old version of Unity. Maybe one day though, myself or another creator will find a way.

I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful at all, and if I did I apologize. Your work is still quite amazing, and much (all?) of it free no less. People like me, who contribute nothing of tangible value to VaM, usually have no right to complain (except for maybe on the low-effort paid posts). Please be assured, my intent was not to be demotivating, but more so just curious about the possibilities. Even a know-nothing like me realizes VaM 1.0 is based on ancient Unity tech, which makes it all the more impressive when creators like you output great resources regardless of that fact.

Besides, there are already other good options to have underwater fun. I might also check out that particular Farger Particle Pack asset you mentioned...you've put out so many in these packs that I definitely haven't been able to try more than 5% (you have some really good waterfalls that I've used though).

Thanks again for your work!

Back
Top Bottom