Nebula Spheres

Assets Nebula Spheres

Farger

Invaluable member
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Farger submitted a new resource:

Nebula Spheres - Nebulous clouds rendered as super huge 3d particle effects

This resource is not a skybox. Nebula Spheres are 560 meter wide 3-dimensional particle effects. This asset includes six types of nebulous clouds: frozen, radiation belt, ion storm, turbulent skies, purple rain, and mutara. Since these spheres are composed of transparent particle effects, skyboxes in the background can be partially seen through the clouds. The interaction of lighting with skyboxes, such as Spaceboxes by @hazmhox can have some very interesting effects, as...

Read more about this resource...

Hey Farger!

If you want, I could help you out with a plugin to customize the clouds. If they are particles, that's quite easy for me : )

Hey Farger!

If you want, I could help you out with a plugin to customize the clouds. If they are particles, that's quite easy for me : )
That would be nice. I tried to use your vfxeditor to change the colors as a test, but the size of the effect makes that challenging to get the settings matched up.

That would be nice. I tried to use your vfxeditor to change the colors as a test, but the size of the effect makes that challenging to get the settings matched up.

Absolutely not a problem!

Zip a file of your base asset (from Unity) and send it to me (either through the PM system or send me your discord name if you got one). I'll build a quick editor based on that : )

I feel badly about my limited skills.

You shouldn't. Some people are artists, some people are coders, some people are tech artists (like me)... those are different skillsets. And what a community is for if we can't help each others ;)

You shouldn't. Some people are artists, some people are coders, some people are tech artists (like me)... those are different skillsets. And what a community is for if we can't help each others ;)
Thank you. I appreciate so many people on the Hub. I am not sure what my category is, maybe a dreamer with a hyperactive imagination. ?

Wonderful!

Is there any chance you could add the equivalent of an alpha mask to the the lower-half (hemisphere) so that these can be used on scenes with long horizon lines? Be neat if the effect could fade out before it hits the zero on the Y axis. Really neat stuff though!

Wonderful!

Is there any chance you could add the equivalent of an alpha mask to the the lower-half (hemisphere) so that these can be used on scenes with long horizon lines? Be neat if the effect could fade out before it hits the zero on the Y axis. Really neat stuff though!
Thank you for the nice feedback. I will run some tests and see if I can make a version that casts the effects on less than half of the hemisphere.

Thank you for the nice feedback. I will run some tests and see if I can make a version that casts the effects on less than half of the hemisphere.
Awesome, thanks! You say you don't know what you're doing but I can't even figure out how to make a particle shader in Unity... Or at least not willing to go through tutorial land right now. Anyhow, I do know that particle effects can tend to have strange reactions to transparencies from outside the system, especially semi-transparent stuff. Would be super neat if there was a blend from 255 to zero over the last 10-20 degrees of the hemisphere.

Sorry if I'm asking too much!

Cheers

Awesome, thanks! You say you don't know what you're doing but I can't even figure out how to make a particle shader in Unity... Or at least not willing to go through tutorial land right now. Anyhow, I do know that particle effects can tend to have strange reactions to transparencies from outside the system, especially semi-transparent stuff. Would be super neat if there was a blend from 255 to zero over the last 10-20 degrees of the hemisphere.

Sorry if I'm asking too much!

Cheers
Some of those interactions between particle effects can be controlled by fudge factor settings in Unity, but that is a discussion for another time. There is a plugin included with this resource as well that can adjust opacity. That combined with lower density particles at the edge may do the trick.

Some of those interactions between particle effects can be controlled by fudge factor settings in Unity, but that is a discussion for another time. There is a plugin included with this resource as well that can adjust opacity. That combined with lower density particles at the edge may do the trick.

Oh, I didn't realize it came with a plugin. I saw Hazmhox's message here in the discussion and didn't realize it ended up happening. I'm elbow deep in building my first scene/look and running into 1000 brick walls, but having a blast. Anyhow, thanks for the cool stuff.

Farger updated Nebula Spheres with a new update entry:

New nebula spheres that do not draw clouds along the horizon

This update adds nebula spheres that do not render clouds along the horizon. These nebula spheres render clouds straight above and straight below when the X rotation and Z rotation of the CUA are set to 0 degrees. A large ground asset is needed to hide the clouds down below. These nebula spheres are labelled "nebula tapered horizon type 1, 2 and 3" in the asset name of the bundle. A new demo scene 4 is included to demonstrate one of the new nebula spheres as illustrated in the last image...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Oh, I didn't realize it came with a plugin. I saw Hazmhox's message here in the discussion and didn't realize it ended up happening. I'm elbow deep in building my first scene/look and running into 1000 brick walls, but having a blast. Anyhow, thanks for the cool stuff.
I have added three types of tapered horizon nebula spheres if you would like to test it out. Thank you for the idea.

I have added three types of tapered horizon nebula spheres if you would like to test it out. Thank you for the idea.
Sweet! Thanks for the quick turnaroud. I wasn't expecting anything anytime soon! I'll check em out right now

I see what the issue is now but no big deal , if you select one of the cloud prefabs and load the plugin it works fine ,
but if you change the cloud prefab to another say changing the nebula tapered horizon 1 to nebula tapered horizon 2 .the plugin no longer functions
until you reload the plugin so it recognises the new prefab then it works .

Image below shows ,that i changed the prefab and that the nebula scale isn't working , until reloading the plugin.

NebulaC.png

Last edited:
I see what the issue is now but no big deal , if you select one of the cloud prefabs and load the plugin it works fine ,
but if you change the cloud prefab to another say changing the nebula tapered horizon 1 to nebula tapered horizon 2 .the plugin no longer functions
until you reload the plugin so it recognises the new prefab then it works .

Image below shows ,that i changed the prefab and that the nebula scale isn't working , until reloading the plugin.

View attachment 413989
Thank you so much for the rigorous testing. I will add a comment to the overview, highlighting the need to reload the plugin when a different nebula is selected for the CUA.

That far away image looks really cool. :)

Thank you so much for the rigorous testing. I will add a comment to the overview, highlighting the need to reload the plugin when a different nebula is selected for the CUA.

That far away image looks really cool. :)
I was testing it fresh with the Touhou Village looks great with the sky box , turned the sky box off so i could see your clouds .

Back
Top Bottom