Nail color doesn't persist

WolfmanVR

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
wolfmanvr
So I think I've discovered a bug. I couldn't find anyone else talking about it, so thought I'd mention it here...

I was trying to change the finger/toe nail color on my model (nails in Skin Materials, not "clothing"), and it works fine. However, if I save and then load the scene, the nail color reverts back to the standard "nude" color.

Strangely enough, going back into Skin Materials 1 shows the nail color at the same value that I specified, but that's NOT the color that is being displayed. I have to toggle off of that color and back onto it for it to properly display the selected color again.

nail_color_bug.jpg

Any way to fix that behavior? Thanks!

--WolfmanVR

Those extra options inside Skin Mat.1 are related to skin you have equipped/selected.
I didn't noticed/have this issue...after loading a scene.

Could be a specific skin issue, what skin you have selected?

On the model in question, I'm using my own custom skins. I thought that nail setting would override the skin textures, but apparently not. Maybe I should just modify the color on the texture instead of in the UI.

Thanks. I see what you're saying, but the behavior is inconsistent, hence the confusion. They definitely aren't locked out when you have custom textures set. First you can load a scene with a model with custom textures. Then change the Nail color in Skin Materials 1 to any of them in the drop-down and you'll see it reflected in the scene (proving they aren't locked out). Finally, if you save/reload the scene, the nail color reverts back to the texture color (not the "nude" color as I originally thought). However, the Save file definitely preserved the Nail setting you set (so I thought it should be displayed).

I think what is happening is related to load order. The Nail setting in Skin Materials 1 is probably applied before the custom textures are loaded. Once the custom textures are loaded, they stomp on the Nail setting. If that order was reversed, then you could use it with custom textures or base diffuse. They would need a transparent setting on the Skin Materials 1/Nail for that to work properly though...

I also tested setting the nail color and then reloading the custom limb texture. Same result - the texture stomps on the Nail color in Skin Materials 1.

Good to know the behavior of that. Unlikely to be changed at this point with the new version of VaM being worked on, and it's a minor thing anyway.

SOLUTION - I modified all the nails on my custom limb diffuse texture. Problem solved. Thanks for helping me see what was going on!

That is best solution, or just merge diffuse with some nail decals. :)

True, you can use those options with custom textures to some extent...
...with specular, gloss, normals and decals-limbs (if decal doesn't cover nail area).
But the moment you load your limbs diffuse texture, bye-bye

I believe those skin-mat1 settings (nail&face) are full diffuse textures, not overlay decals.

Back
Top Bottom