Staff member
Developer
Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
ashauryn
New user joined last Friday and was banned today. Sequence of events went like this:

They immediately tried to post a paid resource in the free category. That's ok, newbies can make mistakes. The resource itself looked very high quality though, which is sometimes a red flag on new accounts. We rejected the resource and let them know it needs to go in a proper category.

They immediately posted the resource to paid. This is a red flag. We've had so many pirates and banned users join the Hub with the sole purpose of trying to make a quick buck on pirated material that we instituted a policy that brand new accounts must wait 30 days before posting to paid.

They also checked the "My resource is not a var" box so that the Var Health Report scan would not give any information about their paid resource.

One option we have at that juncture is to send a message something like:
"Hey guy, we noticed you were having some trouble posting your first resource. Here's some tips, also we'll need you to attach a var. I'm sure checking that box was a mistake. Oops!"

And sometimes we will do that -- we do prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

In this case I chose option B:
Subscribe to the user's Patreon and download the content myself. That is not a Hub standard action to take, but is something I will sometimes do on my own with my own resources for the benefit of the Hub.

I downloaded the content and found the following:

- The meta.json was clean with no dependencies listed.
- The custom folder of the var was jam packed with NC and PC content from other creators

This person was trying to resell NC and PC content by:
@dnaddr @qingfeng141 @VAM_Archer @CMA @hirohiro @CandyCity @Jackaroo @Riddler @SupaRioAmateur @vamyjgril @VRDollz and more

Screenshot of the offending content:

7hZmnLO4se.png

One of the files within the var gave away the user's previous username, which linked the account to a previously banned account.

We made a note of what transpired, and that this user is a duplicate account of a previously banned user, then banned them again.

This was made possible by the following Hub policies:

1. New users content goes straight to moderator approval for the first X resources that they post, until they establish that there's no need to keep moderating them
2. New users who immediately post to paid are given a message about waiting 30 days and during that time encouraged to release free content and get to know the community
3. The Var Health Report for Paid Resources makes it much more difficult for bad actors to pirate your content

Back
Top Bottom