• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Low framerate

Paga83

Reactions
I have a problem with low framerate even with low graphic settings, I get framerates as low as 15/20 fps. My hardware is: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 gb 3000 Mhz Ram (4 8gb sticks), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super, Oculus Rift S

I don't know if important, but I don't get the problem when running desktop mode, I can easily get a 60fps+ with maximum settings on desktop mode.

Is the framerate I get In VR what i should get with my hardware?

Hi,
in most cases, you can't compare desktop games with VR (except you maybe run a 4k display). VR is much(!) more demanding with high resolution and high framerates.

In addition to this, VaM (in its current version) is very bad in using your hardware to its full potential. Even I can't have scenes with more than one-two people, multiple light sources, high physics hair and high poly clothes, ... , running without reprojection on a Valve Index with a brand new Ryzen 5800x and a RX 6900xt.
The bad thing is, that it won't matter that much, if you spend 2000$ more on your hardware... VaM will most probably not run that much faster to justify the money. As long as we finally have the future new VaM-Version, beware of high demanding downloaded scenes. Many of them are only playable at desktop mode IMHO or with a very strong stomache. First thing to try: delete all light sources except of one.

Saying this, 15/20 fps seems awfull low. Is this only with some high demanding scenes, or even at the start with one figure and one light? To have a comparisation: I could run VaM with low demanding scenes (only one light source, one person, decent hair and clothes, low settings and 100% SS) at a decent frame rate, so that I just don't got motion sick on my former PC (idle 90-120fps, in motion 45-60fps). I had a I7 4790K and a gtx980ti (~RTX 2060) before.

There is a very good thread somewhere around here, which scenes and settings are making VaM run slow. This is something that every VaM-fan should read and know.

i have 1080ti and 3900x vam runs correctly I think that the processor load is the most important

Last edited:
"Correctly" depends on ones point of view. Don't get me wrong, I love VaM for years and my different hardware runs VaM in VR(!) smooth and correct. BUT I have to live with some restrictions. There were many postings like "Are you kidding me? VaM runs with 40fps on a 2080ti?". Well, this depends strongly on the scenes you want to run. One says "VaM runs smooth" and is using one figure with one light, and an other one says "VaM runs like shit" and is using 4 figures at once with multiple light sources.
There are many people thinking that VaM will run twice as fast if they buy hardware that is twice as powerful. Most of them will be very dissapointed. This is sadly not how VaM is working. Yes, it will be somewhat faster for sure, but in a ballpark so that some are saying "huge difference" and others "almost no difference".

I know people dont like to hear it but Intel actually runs VaM better then AMD because it don't utilize multithreading so single core performance makes a huge difference. I played comfortably 30+ fps on High settings with mirrors off and not a ton of clothing using a 2070 super, i7 9700k and NvMe M.2

I now have a 3080, i9 10850k and NvMe M.2 and i dont get the preformance you would think but still better

Hallway of Lust by Nail as a reference. Paid Scenes - Hallway of lust | Virt-A-Mate Hub
lowest settings 75+ fps with fast and fluid motions
max settings 25+ fps very slow staggering motions
max settings 40+ but draw the Render Scale back to 1.0 now with fast and fluid motions
Render Scale and Mirrors are the most demanding settings for me then clothes, hair and lighting.

Oh and Rift S i think the low resolution head set is why the Render Scale makes it drop idk

Hi, I don't wan't to begin the old and boring Intel vs AMD war again, but those times are over (for now). Looking at the single/multicore benchmarks, I don't think that my 5800x is much slower than your 1080k, or my 6900xt is much slower than your 3080. But that isn't the point I tryed to say. As you said, VaM isn not (or badly) utilizing multithreading and uses an old Unity version. It was a small little programm but stuffed with more and more features over the years. Taken together with the very high resolution of VR hmds, VaM is running poorly compared with other tools. That is not bashing or hating or something like that, that is what even MeshedVR the creator is saying. I love VaM, therefore I answer to people who have performance issues. I7 9700k or a 6 Years old I7 4790k unfortunately doesn't make that much difference, for instance. For some people 30 fps are comfortable, others (like me) would get instantly motion sick. It is always a subjective point of view, but the overall message is: Yes, VaM is comparabely slow, if you don't mind some simple things, and we all know it. There is a future version 2.x coming to address most of those issues.

I dont understand how dropping to 30fps would make anyone instantly sick the only change in the game is the character's speed, I dont experience any terrible shuttering or extreme lag that makes you lose your sea legs. I have never got sick playing a VR game but some people do.

edit: my other pc has a 2070 super setup just like his/hers the only difference is the CPU idk anything about AMD it could be 10 y/o or new but it sounds like its holding them back in comparison.

Last edited:
The soft body setting under the performance tab is the biggest frame rate dropper in the game from what I have tested. When you dissable that, most other settings will do little difference. More than 3 characters is also a huge fps dropper.

Back
Top Bottom