Question Looking for direction with (Mocap)

becausereasons

Reactions
My girlfriend does dance, including burlesque. We're interested in creating some steamy content for the VAM community.

The thing is, we're trying to figure out the best way to do MOCAP.

Right now, seems most people use vive-trackers; you'd need 5 for decent IK I guess?

I heard someone had tracking/gloves for fingers. Anyone familiar with a solution for this? That's really important for a steamy dance/session.

Any help appreciated!

I and others have asked this here before. Unfortunately the people who create mocaps are very tight-lipped about how they do it because they think others will steal their technique which they assume could cut into whatever income they make on selling these. Or they'll say that the info is readily available if you search for it but that isn't really true. No one (to my knowledge) has every done a complete tutorial or user guide on how to create realistic mocaps for VaM. If more people knew how to make good mocaps I think that would be overall great for the entire VaM community. If you do find out anything, please share. If you search my posts you'll see I participated in several discussions on this topic.

Upvote 0
I and others have asked this here before. Unfortunately the people who create mocaps are very tight-lipped about how they do it because they think others will steal their technique which they assume could cut into whatever income they make on selling these. Or they'll say that the info is readily available if you search for it but that isn't really true. No one (to my knowledge) has every done a complete tutorial or user guide on how to create realistic mocaps for VaM. If more people knew how to make good mocaps I think that would be overall great for the entire VaM community. If you do find out anything, please share. If you search my posts you'll see I participated in several discussions on this topic.
That's a signal of a weak community. A rising tide raises all ships. Once I figure it out (and I will) you can be sure ill make a comprehensive tutorial. I come from the entrepreneurial space; this kind of tight lipped hiding is very uncool.

Upvote 0
That's a signal of a weak community. A rising tide raises all ships. Once I figure it out (and I will) you can be sure ill make a comprehensive tutorial. I come from the entrepreneurial space; this kind of tight lipped hiding is very uncool would be a great thing to happen to this community.
I hope you do figure things out and share your knowledge about mocap creation because this community of mocapers needs a good kick up the arse to be absolutely fair. There are some very good creators out there but they have no interest in helping others with mocaps at all. And the lack of sharing knowledge on this matter is why I've not bothered to buy any kit for creating mocap's myself.

Not sure about the hand gloves but try reaching out to Vamtimbo if he will share the knowledge.

Some descent trackers I've seen in action that should all work with steam vr for vam.
Vive tracker 3.0 are the most accurate but a bit bulky(they do have newer version)
SlimeVR trackers are good and fairly priced but they are inside out tracking so not quite as accurate as vive but still pretty good from the examples I've seen.
Sony Mocopi are similar to slime vr but smaller/lighter but more expensive.
There are others but I don't know much about them.

Do you already have a headset and have knowledge of using VAM?

Upvote 0
I hope you do figure things out and share your knowledge about mocap creation because this community of mocapers needs a good kick up the arse to be absolutely fair. There are some very good creators out there but they have no interest in helping others with mocaps at all. And the lack of sharing knowledge on this matter is why I've not bothered to buy any kit for creating mocap's myself.

Not sure about the hand gloves but try reaching out to Vamtimbo if he will share the knowledge.

Some descent trackers I've seen in action that should all work with steam vr for vam.
Vive tracker 3.0 are the most accurate but a bit bulky(they do have newer version)
SlimeVR trackers are good and fairly priced but they are inside out tracking so not quite as accurate as vive but still pretty good from the examples I've seen.
Sony Mocopi are similar to slime vr but smaller/lighter but more expensive.
There are others but I don't know much about them.

Do you already have a headset and have knowledge of using VAM?

Thanks. Yes I've got a Quest 3 as well as a Lighthouse 2 system with 3 base-stations. I am an intermediate VAM user, but wanted this mocap project to get my hands 'dirty' more seriously.

Upvote 0
Well your most of the way there with the lighthouses then so I would defo look into getting the vive 3.0's or the latest version if you can cough up that much money for them. Start off with 5 to get the feel of things and just add more when you can. It looks expensive though, if you want this to show the quality of dances like you shown, you would want feet, knees waist, elbows and chest and then if using controllers is a problem you need hands so that's 10 trackers. Sorry if this is all obvious to you already.

Upvote 0
@becausereasons if you have the Quest 3 I read that Meta will be adding some kind of AI powered mocap ability in December or January. It will let you move your whole body in VR with the Q3 and the hand controllers. Supposedly the built in cameras will see your legs and feet and allow mocap. Hopefully this will work in VaM so you can record motions with Timeline.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom