Is Win11 better/worse than Win10 for VaM?

Reactions
I wonder if anyone has played VaM both on Win11 and Win10 (same PC of course). Is Win11 better/worse (faster/slower) than Win10 for VaM?

In desktop mode I have not noticed a difference.

In VR mode the performance is worse in Windows 11 using a Quest 2. There's a known issue that results in roughly 20% performance loss on any VR application ran though SteamVR or OculusVR. It been an issue for months now with no fix yet. The workaround is to enable the debug console and set your monitor to above 60hrtz. After that everything is fine. If you plan on using it for VR with a Quest 2, just stay on Win10 until things get ironed out.

I'm on 11 and quest 2 right now. Just tried showing the debug console, made a HUGE difference on framerate with a link cable, like it was completely unusable prior to showing the debug console, now its great. Haven't tried virtual desktop yet. Really considering reinstalling 10 now, especially since they are testing advertisements in the file explorer.

Nothing but issues with win11 and SteamVR, lots of constant stuttering caused by windows fps limiting non focussed apps - the workaround is to focus other windows till it sorts itself out....regular performance however seems very compatible to win10. I'd go back to 10 if it wasn't a royal epic pain to do.

I'm on 11 and quest 2 right now. Just tried showing the debug console, made a HUGE difference on framerate with a link cable, like it was completely unusable prior to showing the debug console, now its great. Haven't tried virtual desktop yet. Really considering reinstalling 10 now, especially since they are testing advertisements in the file explorer.

How do you show the debug console? Thanks in advance!

How do you show the debug console? Thanks in advance!

go to Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics-> run oculus debug tool exe
in debug tool click on service menu and then click on toggle console window visibility, give admin privileges, should open the console
then just leave the console open on your desktop, thats all, I read some people couldnt minimize it without suffering performance issues again so I just leave it open on the desktop

From what I can gather it all comes from the fact windows 11 is trying to save resources by only allowing the focussed app the full unlocked framerate whilst limiting background apps to 30. We are just tricking win11 to not do that for VR.

Are there any other opinions? The problem still exists?
I'm going to have a lot of new hardware for the PC and I have to reinstall the OS but the question remains : w10 or w11 for the performance ?
Maybe VaM will always be the best on w10. Thanks ^^

vr perform. it is always the same (reverb g2), desktop mode too. You can check my last benchmark result in MacGruber thread (vam hub, general forum). The stability of my system looks perfect, even during long lasting vam sessions. Absolutely no issues. No need to reinstall in a clean partition: the online protocol for the upgrade works like a charm, and the install is a lot fast if are with nvme. Was trashing my recover folder with win 10 after some miinutes... and even after lot of months I do not regret.

Back
Top Bottom