Question Is there a plugin which allows me to rotate the Skybox?

pinosante

Reactions
I'd like to have the possiblity of a dream-like spinning Skybox. Is there some plugin which allows me to reference the skybox rotation?

(Btw I'm using one of the default Vam Skyboxes. If I could save that as a CUA asset I'd just rotate that, but I have no clue how to do that).

if it helps i did a quick test using Timeline, wanted to do something like that myself too but never got around to it.

it's Timeline added to the scene plugins, the animation needs to be triggered and then it will start rotating it, 3600s for one revolution.
it's not a perfect rotation though, it starts at angle -180 and ends at 180 and then at a new revolution it will jump in reverse really fast, couldn't figure it out but probably it can be done perfectly just with timeline

you might be able to do it with LogicBricks without timeline too if it helps

Attachments

• skyrotate.jpg
    skyrotate.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
  • skyrotate.json
    7.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
if it helps i did a quick test using Timeline, wanted to do something like that myself too but never got around to it.

it's Timeline added to the scene plugins, the animation needs to be triggered and then it will start rotating it, 3600s for one revolution.
it's not a perfect rotation though, it starts at angle -180 and ends at 180 and then at a new revolution it will jump in reverse really fast, couldn't figure it out but probably it can be done perfectly just with timeline

you might be able to do it with LogicBricks without timeline too if it helps
Awesome! Yeah I was looking at logicbricks, but needed the CoreControl -> GlobalLighting -> skyboxYAngle as a trigger target. Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Awesome, got it to work.

plugin#1 macGruber ValueUpDown 0 to 1
ValueSet 1 to a VUML variable
ValueSet 2 to the skybox angle
plugin #2 VUML with a float and a bool which triggers when the float becomes 0.999 or higher
plugin #3 JayJay Action grouper with a trigger if the bool triggers, to set the macGruber back to 0.

So now you have a macgruber valueup down which goes from 0 to 1, and then jumps back to 0. If you make 0 correspond to -180 and 1 to plus 180, the transition is smooth and you get an eternal rotation.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
If all you need is endless looping, than basic one step AP can loop perfect 360° (it worked for me, on speakers concept).
No need for plugins. ;)

Attached cut down example scene (AP only)

Attachments

• skybox.json
    8.2 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
If all you need is endless looping, than basic one step AP can loop perfect 360° (it worked for me, on speakers concept).
No need for plugins. ;)

Attached cut down example scene (AP only)
Thanks a lot! Your solution is soooo much more elegant!

Upvote 0
Awesome, got it to work.

plugin#1 macGruber ValueUpDown 0 to 1
ValueSet 1 to a VUML variable
ValueSet 2 to the skybox angle
plugin #2 VUML with a float and a bool which triggers when the float becomes 0.999 or higher
plugin #3 JayJay Action grouper with a trigger if the bool triggers, to set the macGruber back to 0.

So now you have a macgruber valueup down which goes from 0 to 1, and then jumps back to 0. If you make 0 correspond to -180 and 1 to plus 180, the transition is smooth and you get an eternal rotation.

Thanks!
Using a LogicBricks Blend brick that triggers itself when it's done is probably easier?

Somewhat relevant to this topic thread. Does anyone know if/where the trigger is to actually change the VAM integrated skyboxes in Scene Lighting Settings. I don't see it under CoreControl > GlobalLighting
You could use SkyMagic, I think, which works from a CustomUnityAsset atom. But you would need your own custom sky and I have not actually tried.

Upvote 0
Don't forget about VaMRotator:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom