Ipad LIDAR scanning your room and import into VAM

Guides Ipad LIDAR scanning your room and import into VAM

youvebeenabadboy

Reactions
youvebeenabadboy submitted a new resource:

Ipad LIDAR scanning your room and import into VAM - Step by step instruction for scanning your room or apartment, and using it as a scene in VAM

I've struggled a lot with using photogrammetry to 3D scan my room, getting noisy and heavy meshes unsuitable for using as scenes in VAM.
With the Ipad pro with LIDAR, and the new 3D scanning apps that have appeared, the process goes from many hours to under an hour from starting a scan to having it fully rigged with simulated lighting in VAM.

After testing many LIDAR scanning apps, I have concluded that Polycam (https://poly.cam/) produces the best scan for VAM. Not only are they...

Read more about this resource...

Any idea for Android phones?
Which android phones have a Lidar Sensor anyway?

Last edited:
There are photogrammetry apps that don't require lidar, here's a list that's about 6 months old
!
Microsoft's MobileFusion looks promising. I would recommend trying a few cellphone apps to see if it works to create reasonably good room scans.

Otherwise more professional photogrammetry programs like Metashape will work very well, but they require good photos to give clean scans. By good photos I mean high resolution + focus + low noise. Also not usable for white walls, as the programs need textures to create 3D points. If you have a room with textured wallpaper it usually works very well.

Reading this guide actually convinced me to buy an iPhone 12 Pro today. Would really be interested in any comments you have going forward on emerging apps, more tricks with polycam, blender finishing... just everything, really. Thanks a lot for this guide.

THANK YOU! i look forward to attempting this, question, do I need to read MacGruber’s guide or does your guide cover what his procedures are? thanks agaiN!

Whenever i import my room into vam texture looks very low quality. Is there anyway to make it better?

Back
Top Bottom